1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

4K / UHD settings?

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Dustin4u, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Dustin4u

Dustin4u Member

Thanks again so far for all the help - sure as i watch a movie or two i will have more questions.

Attached Files:

2. Dustin4u

Dustin4u Member

-Watched 5 minutes of "Sully" in 1080P - YCB 4:4:4 10 Bit (60 Gig, 2160 4K MKV) - looked amazing (display on TV shows 1080P)
    -Changed the minix setting to 4K 60Hz and watched again, looked the same as above (which isn't a bad thing mind you - can't see a pixel up close). Display confirmed 4K 3840 x 2160).

Any ideas why it looks the same? I know this TV was $6,000 and i bought if for the upscaling.
    Why would setting it at 1080P look the same as 4K?
    Again its" wow, wow, wow" while its playing, but would be nice to figure out.
  3. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

Ok, tried it again.
    I chose excatly the same settings you gave and ... it works !! o_O:whistle:(y)
    And now i understand why.

Months ago i had an issue with a "no signal video" after choosing a 4K movie
    I had to play with the settings and found a working one : U9 @ 1080@60p with YCbCr 4:2:2
    Then i finlay could play anything, but without HDR

I just choose YCbCr 4:2:0 and nothing is kept, it returns in YCbCr 4:4:4 by default ! I signaled this bug to Ken

Finaly i tried again to set Minix interface to 4k2k@60 fps and to keep my 5 sec for the switch, with 4:2:0 and it works !
    You saved my day ! :D
    I had differents issues with this f***ing "No signal" error with having to unplug the box everytime.

Thanks again !
    kingsizept likes this.
  4. keanustar

keanustar Member

Yeah, I keep the resolution in Minix settings at 4K 60hz. Forgot to mention that.
    Unfortunately for me, auto switch in Kodi does not work for me, but I'm ok without. Maybe of I knew what it does I would understand better.
    The No Signal issues are mostly due to the HDCP. Minix team still needs to do some work on that.
  5. skynet

Have to tried to give more time for the switch ? I had to push it to 5 sec but it should depend of TV type.
    It's working fine with my Sony 55XD9305 and autoswitch too (HDMI level 1 and auto framerate change At start / At stop in Kodi)
  6. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I have set my MINIX video settings to 4k 60hz and Auto framerate change start/stop, since I got the new 4k Onkyo receiver a few months back, which is also set to 4k 60hz. My Samsung SUHD TV is set to auto up convert everything to 4k. HDR is on, on U9, Onkyo and TV. Picture is flawless.
  7. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

If you do not see any 4k choices in the MINIX setup, this usually means, if you are using an AVR it does not support true 4k. It may just support up convert. I found this out on my own AVR and replaced it, when I go the new 4k TV.
  8. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I have noticed a lag with a blank screen since I made my changes. I'm going to try what you did and increase the time to 5 sec, to see if it helps.
  9. skynet

All TV will react differently, so play with this value, from 3 sec to 7.
  10. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

Erm, if you have the U9 set to 4K 60Hz then all video content that is NOT 4K will be upscaled by the U9 itself and picture outputs will actually be inferior to what your relatively expensive 4K Samsung TV can do with its superior upscaling hardware.
    You will very likely notice a softer looking picture for non 4K video content displayed on your 4K TV.

It's why if users mostly have 1080p only video content they should set a Android GUI of 1080p and let their 4K TV's do all the 1080p > 4K upscaling. Then manually switch to 4K only when viewing 4K video content.

Unfortunately the U9, when using Android has no auto resolution switching 1080p <<->> 4K to do this dynamically on the fly for optimal picture outputs.

LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on the U9 does this auto resolution switching and also auto switches the colorspace correctly for 1080p REC 709 and 4K BT2020 without having to manually fiddle with Android settings every time.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    skynet likes this.
  11. keanustar

keanustar Member

I haven't found any softness in using 4K 60fps. I had soft picture when the noise reduction was on in FW05. If I watch a 1080p Remux, the picture looks very crisp and detailed.
    I find it very inconvenient to change the resolution every time I watch a different rez video.
    Also, the U9 switches to HDR automatically now, if you set it to Auto. You don't need to enable it every time, as it was in FW04 for eg.
    skynet likes this.
  12. Dustin4u

Dustin4u Member

Does anyone know why in Kodi (edit) settings i can only choose 1080p, and not any other resolution?
    In the U9 settings i can change the resolution to 4k.

Yes my receiver is a true 4K receiver (Yamaha 1050).

HDR: On or Auto?

Thanks gents!
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  13. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

I'm guessing you mean the Kodi settings...i believe 1080p is the max and it only applies to the GUI
    Villa likes this.
  14. Dustin4u

Dustin4u Member

Yes, sorry Kodi settings not minix :)
    It only applies to the GUI? - all the resolution is done in the U9 settings for Kodi?
    So only worry about changing settings directly in the U9, and don't worry about video settings directly in Kodi?

I assume because i have a fancy upscaling TV, i leave it at 1080P so my Sony Bravia can do the upscaling - i believe that's what i just read from WRX - i wanted to confirm.

-All my 1080P, leave it on 1080P in the U9 settings allows my Bravia to upscale?
    -All my 2160 files, i should manually change it to 4K in the U9 settings
  15. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

Yes Resolution settings are all done in U9's Android settings, because auto resolution switching is not working properly for Android Kodi on the U9 or any other Android Kodi platform for that matter.

Basically set Android Settings > Screen resolution to whatever gives you the best looking Picture output results vs what your 4K TV can do.

For me I immediately notice, even in the mainscreen MINIX GUI a duller, softer picture output from the U9 when I hard select 4k2k in Android Settings > Display > Screen Resolution vs setting 1080p60Hz.
    So for me its obvious my 4K TV produces superior 1080p > 4K upscaling picture results vs what the U9 can do and subsequently I leave the Android Settings > Screen Resolution at 1080p60Hz
  16. Dustin4u

Dustin4u Member

What about HDR? Auto or on?
    My TV/receiver have HDR.
  17. keanustar

keanustar Member

HDR should be on Auto. It will switch to On automatically when you play a HDR video, then goes back to SDR once that video is stopped.