1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

A new user's thoughts on Kodi and A/V synch issues

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX Releases' started by dortmunder, Sep 30, 2017.

1. dortmunder

dortmunder New Member

Hi. I'm still getting used to my U9 after years of being with WDTV LiveHub. I'm watching some mkv's and have so far been using MoviePlayer as it's the only player that kept A/V synch properly. The Kodi Krypton 17.4 was always 'out'.

Then I read about 'Kodi for Minix' and thought that would be what I needed. If it's Kodi made specifically for Minix then why does it not come 'shipped' with the device, I wonder?

Anyway, I read some threads and it seems there are still some synch issues and that (I may be wrong here) version 16.3 is the preferred one. So I installed it and played with some settings and my mkv's do seem to be playing better although I've yet to watch one from beginning to end.

May I ask then – is 16.3 generally preferred to the various '17' versions? And is there a recommended table of settings to ensure correct A/V synch?

Final thought – do mkv's cause their own problems with Kodi?

Thanks for any advice offered.
  2. David03

David03 New Member

Hi dortmunder, just wanted to try to help you out. I have a U1 and use Kodi 17.4 , SPMC 16.7 and MINIX XBMC 16.3 and have no A/V synch issues. So the problem may lie in your settings in Kodi. Also what type of tv do you use? What type of connection do you use (HDMI or optical cable)? As far as 16.3 vesus 17.4 some people have issues with one or the other or both (again it deponds on settings, connection, and also sometimes the mkv encoder may have encoded the file out of synch( as I've some mkv files where the subtitles are out of synch with the audio). So the first place to start would be the HDMI Self Adaption setting to either 1 or 2 to see if it helps. Then try the adjust display refresh rate in Kodi settings http://kodi.wiki/view/settings to see if that solves the issue. I hope this helps to solve your problem.
  3. David03

David03 New Member

Also one big difference for me between Kodi 16 versus 17 is the abilty to play 1080p Hi10p Anime files without stuttering and pixelation in which I get in Kodi 16 but not Kodi 17.4.
  4. dortmunder

dortmunder New Member

Thanks, David. The TV is "HDTV 1080p" with HDMI. The Self Adaption (new one on me...) was at 1, tried 2 but even worse. I'll maybe fiddle around a bit more but with all the permutations available within the Kodi settings, it can be a bit frustrating.
  5. David03

David03 New Member

You can also try a youtube video for Kodi settings (as the next step would be adjusting the settings in Kodi).
  6. JeroenR

JeroenR Member

I’d like to comment on this to. @dortmunder’s take on the ‘player’ story is about the same as mine (http://www.minixforum.com/threads/left-without-a-decent-player.17628/)
    Minix XBMC 16.3 was my fav player, until the movie scraper stopped working. But all my files played flawless. Now I have Kodi 17.4 installed and that works best for now. But sync is not always correct. With xbmc 16.3 I saw my tv switch to a different refresh rate, with Kodi it doesn’t do that. Most of the times no problems, but I seem to have some mkv’s with different or unusual frame rates and then I have stutters in the movie. So in short, Minix xbmc 16.3 was perfect, but now there is no flawless player anymore.
  7. David03

David03 New Member

Have you tried SPMC 16.7? I recently found that Kodi 17.4 had A/V synch issues with Xvid files when the media codec turned on. All my other files play flawless. Also on SPMC I turned on the Amcodec and didn't have any A/V synch with the Xvid files. The SPMC has more features and options versus the XBMC for Minix and uses the Amcodec for hardware acceleration and the movie scraper is working verses with the XBMC.
  8. JeroenR

JeroenR Member

Thanks for your help, but I'm done trying. I bought the Minix to work out of the box, and it doesn't. Minix ships it with Minix XBMC (like mentioned on the packaging), but neglects to update. Its the core of this machine, play movie files, but it struggles with that. I know there are a lot of different options out there, but every time it takes me a lot of time to get all the kinks worked out. I hope there will be a stable XBMC soon, otherwise the Minix will find its way to the second hand market place.
  9. Marty

Marty Active Member

SPMC 17.4, you won't find anything better.
    http://download.semperpax.com/spmc/android-arm/SPMC-17.4a11-spmc-f994621-armeabi-v7a.apk
  10. raston

raston New Member

Hi Marty... I DL'd SPMC 17.4 (per your link) and in order to have the video watchable I must disable AMCODEC. With it enable the video plays in spits and start and the audio in completely out of sync. Any thoughts...
  11. Marty

Marty Active Member

Do you have both media codecs disabled? I only have the amcodec selected and have to say it’s flawless for me?
  12. raston

raston New Member

I've tried them one at a time. The only one causing the problem is AMCODEC.
  13. Marty

Marty Active Member

Just out of interest, when you have only amcodec selected and you are watching something, press o on the keyboard and see if the amcodec is active, I have a feeling in your case it is not.