1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

A2 Lite Dongle Purchase

Discussion in 'NEO A3, A2 Lite Airmouse' started by MMB, Jan 11, 2017.

1. MMB

MMB New Member

Hello, I have an A2 lite air mouse remote and I bought another Minix Neo U1 box and need to know
    where I can buy another Dongle for my new box so I don't have to purchase another airmouse for my new box. Thanks :)
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

You can't!
    The airmouse and dongle are paired during manufacture.
  3. MMB

MMB New Member

Oh n0, so I have to buy another air mouse...oh well. Thanks!
  4. Villa

Even if it were possible how would you use both boxes at the same time or is that not your intention?
  5. MMB

MMB New Member

Not using 2 boxes at the same time, one box is in another room, watch one at a time. It would be nice to be able to use the same air mouse remote for both boxes.
  6. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Just take the dongle out of one box put it in the other
    Villa likes this.
  7. Villa

8. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope New Member

I would also like to purchase extra dongles. (Have a hard time believing they are that specific, per unit. That would make them like keyless car remotes, with unique codes.) I have three different streaming boxes (one of them being a Minix U1) -- in separate viewing locations -- so far with your neo-a2-lite
    plus a Rii 8+ wireless mini-keyboard. These seem to be interchangeable, in any combination. (Not the original box remotes, but the last two, as more capable replacements.) That said, various 3rd. party dongles I have tried do not work. With one of the dongles that does work (could have been the one from the Rii ?) if it is plugged into a Windows computer, Properties reports it as a "Sage Airmouse." That sounds like an off-the-shelf item. Could we get this query to someone at Minix who knows about this definitively ?
  9. Villa

The remotes have to be paired specifically otherwise if you have several devices around your house, all on simultaneously, and each one had a MINIX dongle then every remote would control every device and from different locations!
    I do understand that you may only view in one location at a time but even so, the device in each location, in my opinion, should have it's own specific remote.
    For something where you can share/program a dongle you would have to look at Logitech products that support Logitech's Unifying receiver.
  10. dryster

dryster Active Member

The direction I have gone with devices in the house is the unified approach from Logitech, the little USB dongles can pair up to six devices on 2.4GHz (not bluetooth), but I often only use two or three, a K400 and one or two of the various compatible mice. And via luck or whatever, when I'm out at yard sales or at thrift stores, those mice and other logitech keyboards pop up quite often, and the cool thing is that they have significant range suitable for a TV box application. If I recall though, there are some restrictions in pairing, so you cannot use one mouse with two dongles, I think I'm remembering that correctly and the pairing of new devices is via software that you download from logitech.
  11. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

If you wish, an A2 Lite controller can be paired with a different Minix dongle as follows:

1. Power up your Minix box.
    2. Remove the dongle.
    3. Remove one of the batteries from the controller.
    4. Reinsert the battery and the red LED will flash 3 times.
    5. Press and hold the "Fn" key + "P" key for a couple of seconds until the red LED illuminates steadily.
    6. Reinsert the dongle whilst the red LED is illuminated.
    7. Within 10 seconds the LED should extinguish and then flash 3 times.
    8. Check the controller and dongle function correctly. If not, repeat the above steps carefully.

I have successfully tested the above procedure on 3 different A2 Lite controllers using the same dongle each time. Although I can't check, I suspect the same procedure can also be used on the A2 and A3 versions of the controller. Perhaps someone could confirm?

EDIT:
    Just to make it clear, it's the dongle that contains the unique identity code not the controller. Therefore, whilst you can pair a number of controllers to a single dongle, you can't have a number of dongles paired to a single controller at the same time.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Snootyfox, kingsizept and Villa like this.
  12. Villa

Do you know, I never thought to try that! o_O:rolleyes:
    It makes sense really! :)
    I've only ever gone off what we've been told by MINIX! o_O

Still though, the dongles aren't available individually so @Kaleidoscope would have to buy more remotes! :confused:

I will do some testing. (y)
    Menorca Man likes this.
  13. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

Yes, like you, I didn't think it was possible! However, I recently took delivery of a new A2 Lite V2 (Function and Caps Lock LEDs on same side as keyboard), which turned out to be faulty. On contacting the vendor I was advised to re-pair the controller with its dongle using the above procedure to see if cured the problem (erratic/unresponsive mouse pointer). Unfortunately it didn't and I'm now in the process of obtaining a replacement. Still, looking on the bright side, I've learnt something new!! :)

Shame dongles aren't available separately but I accept it wouldn't make good business sense as far as Minix is concerned!!

As you have an A2, A2 Lite and A3, I look forward to the results of your testing. (y)

EDIT: Received the replacement A2 Lite v2 and I'm please to say it's functioning perfectly!
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Villa and kingsizept like this.
  14. SLauder

SLauder Member

I just received my new U9-h and my a2 lite dongle is missing. The email for Minix San Fran was returned - address not found. I have called the number on their US website (415-868-4954) and left a message. I find it hard to believe that a replacement is not possible.
  15. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Silly question maybe but have you checked both battery compartments?
    Where did you buy the U9-h/A2 Lite from? You should contact the seller for a replacement.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  16. SLauder

SLauder Member

I understand, new remotes have it stored in the battery compartments. This was put away until I got my new U9. Perhaps the dog ate it. I bought it from Amazon - the vendor was Minix.
  17. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Sorry but I assumed from your post that the A2 lite came with your new U9. It wasn't clear that this was a remote you already owned.
    You could try Minix HK support but I don't think they sell dongles separately.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    SLauder likes this.
  18. SLauder

SLauder Member

That would be of "no support"
  19. SLauder

SLauder Member

Emails to HK and phone calls and emails to SF have gone unanswered. Sad.
    I was willing to ship the remote to HK for pairing.
  20. Villa

SLauder likes this.