1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Accessing U1 USB drive via PC on LAN

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by StirlingSteve, Jan 23, 2016.

1. StirlingSteve

StirlingSteve New Member

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a completely stupid question but I'm pretty new to Android and am getting a little lost.

I have a USB HDD connected to my U1 which in turn is connected to the same LAN as my Windows 7 Desktop PC. I'd like to be able to transfer files from the PC to the USB drive on the U1. I thought I'd just need to install SAMBA on the U1 to make the USB HDD visible to the PC but that needs root access and I don't want to root the U1.

I know I can map to the PC from the U1 but I'd prefer to push the files over from the PC rather than pull them with the U1. Is there a simple app. I can use without having to root it?

Ta in advance for the help.
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

SAMBA would be the right (and if I'm not wrong the only) way to handle the way from PC to U1, so I think you have to root it OR you should wait till MINIX will implements the SAMBA Server at the fw (they will like at the X8, but it's a feature and not a bug-fix which have first priority at the moment)...
  3. newbie99

4. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

using es explorer on the minix start the remote manger ( opens up ftp) and then you can transfer using ftp from your pc ( i use winscp)
    root not required
  5. newbie99

6. newbie99

hehehe, I didn't know that ES have a build-in ftp-server... sometimes life could be so easy :)
  7. StirlingSteve

StirlingSteve New Member

Cheers chaps - I'll try the FTP idea for now and revert to SAMBA when it's officially added then. Super!
  8. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

Hi,

The built-in FTP server works fine, but you can't access the external µSD, only the internal eMMC.
    Any way to get it ?
  9. haru harutachu

haru harutachu New Member

I do that with ftp but now the problem is I can't write or delete files (since pc) on my hdd connect minix usb cose it doesn't s work yet.... I read about beta fw05 fix it.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk
  10. haru harutachu

haru harutachu New Member

If you want copy files on your hdd minix you can use Es Explorer on your minix (I can't do with my nexus5 even I can see) conect lan share folder in your pc.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk
  11. Frederick_99

what are you using on your pc......i use winscp and you may have to enable in winscp preferences "show hidden files"
    skynet likes this.
  12. skynet

I use FileZilla. I'll try WinSCP, thanks ;)
  13. skynet

Hi again,

Unfortunately, no way to have a link to the external SD using WinSCP even while showing hidden files.
    What is your best solution to transfert files from PC to Minix external device using network, without using a usb key or external harddrive ?

Edit : I've just tried AirDroid, which is working fine with external SD too :)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  14. Frederick_99

i cant help anymore at the moment as i don't have access to a u1

i previously had one for a short while as i set it up for a family member, i was very impressed with it bar not currently being able to write to external storage from the minix and a few other issues that will surely be ironed out

i have previously used "xxxdroid" apps and ssh server apps which have all worked reasonably well, in particular ssh server by The Olive Tree https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.sshserver&hl=en_GB is very easy to use alongside winscp on the pc
    skynet likes this.
  15. skynet

Thanks again Frederick :)
    I searched other solutions again and found, i think, the best and easier one : Wifi file explorer : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dooblou.WiFiFileExplorer&hl=en
    Just need to allow external SD access in Android setting and it's working ;)
  16. Frederick_99

17. skynet

Nope, i'm using ETH connection and it uses it, as we can't have both connected (Wifi AND eth).
    Frederick_99 likes this.
  18. riccardo74

riccardo74 New Member

I 've the same problem, using any FTP or ES File Manager-->Remote Manager works perfectly. But I'd like to know if SAMBA is faster then FTP, anyone knows?

Again, when MINIX will officialy support SAMBA without rooting device?
  19. newbie99

20. riccardo74

riccardo74 New Member

Really? I'm new in android world, sorry. So if I upgrade my firmware (settings?) can I use Samba app wthout rooting my device?