1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Battery life

Discussion in 'NEO A3' started by Geoff Boardman, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Geoff Boardman

Geoff Boardman New Member

The battery life on the A3 is very poor I'm going through batteries every couple of weeks

2. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

That depends on usage , quality of batteries ! .... I get several weeks out of mine !

3. Geoff Boardman

Well my Tv remote is using the same batteries and is used a lot more and I haven't changed the batteries for 12 months

4. midnight

Oook, not really sure what you are looking for here ? does your TV remote do all what the A3 does..... type , air mouse etc !

5. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

How is the TV remote used a lot more?
    I guess your TV remote is IR and lot less power hungry.

Personally my TV remote is used to switch the TV On & Off and increase/decrease volume!
    I haven't changed the batteries in the TV remote for years. I just checked them and they were best before Mar 2014! :eek:

I have noticed the A3 is a little more power hungry than the A2 Lite but I honestly can't say how long the batteries are lasting. A couple of weeks, three, not sure? It does get a hammering daily, (typing this post now and most of my content on this Forum!), and all TV, YouTube and a lot of internet browsing.
    I don't use voice search feature and I always deactivate the gyro/fly mouse myself as soon as I am done using it.

You shouldn't compare an airmouse to a TV remote!

I use rechargeable batteries and just pop in a charged set whenever the remote becomes unresponsive. :)

CybeRider and midnight like this.
  6. Geoff Boardman

Thanks guys for your responses perhaps it's just me not use to changing batteries every couple of weeks Rechargeable batteries why didn't I think of that lol

7. Villa

For rechargeables best to use 1000mAh capacity! :)

Geoff Boardman likes this.
  8. medwatt

medwatt Member

I've had to change the batteries twice in the two weeks since I got the U9, and I'm not even using it that much. Meanwhile, I can't even remember when was the last time I changed the batteries on my LG magic remote (which has an air mouse).

9. midnight

@Villa post #5 pretty much sums it up ! I seem to get around a month or so but depending on usage and quality of batteries that can obviously vary.

10. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

Well explain this then. I put in a pair of brand new Duracell alkaline batteries and after an evening of normal use I then put my U9-H to sleep. No LEDs are flashing. "OK Google" is disabled. The very next morning both batteries are completely dead. I have to wake it using the power button on the box. This has happened on several occasions. I test the batteries before replacing them to make sure they're at full capacity. Something in this A3 is draining these batteries while the box is asleep. This has happened when the box was completely powered off too. I now take the batteries out when not in use, which I don't think Minix intended how this remote should operate.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Ljudka likes this.
  11. medwatt

medwatt Member

I've changed three set of batteries in just over a month. This remote eats battery like no other.

12. kingsizept

kingsizept Member

MINIX NEO A2 and NEO A3 + VARTA 1000 mAh AAA (NIMH) Rechargeable ACCU.

13. Villa

I have issues with the A3.
    Sometimes it appears completely dead. I remove one battery, reinsert and it comes back to life.
    Also I have to recalibrate it quite often.

steveg32 likes this.
  14. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

Maybe we got lemons.

15. Villa

I've got two then! :confused:

steveg32 likes this.
  16. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

:ROFLMAO: I'm thinking of getting an A2 or A2 Lite. Don't use the mic on the A3 too often. Do you have a preference?

17. Villa

I don't think the A2 is manufactured anymore. It also has a mic, which you wouldn't use, and a speaker. The battery life is/was poor also (more so) !
    The A2 Lite is the best of the three for me!

steveg32 likes this.
  18. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

A2 Lite if you don't need speaker/mic. I have to say though I don't have battery or calibration issues with my A3. For sure I haven't been using it a lot lately but I've used the same batteries since I got it. I never use the audio/mic and mostly use the navigation buttons rather than airmouse within Kodi

steveg32 likes this.
  19. Villa

The difference is that I am using the A3 daily typing all this crap! :whistle::ROFLMAO:
    Using the airmouse a lot too.
    When using Kodi I only use the D-pad.
    I don't use the mic ever!
    I don't have a battery life issue and I use rechargables. Yes, they don't appear to last as long as the A2 Lite but for the hammering I give it they last sufficiently imo. (y)

20. midnight

I use all three .... I agree with @Villa the A2 lite would be my choice , the A2 imo is the worst of the three as far as battery life but like @Villa mentioned it doesn't appear to be in production any longer but some suppliers my have stock ???

steveg32 and Villa like this.