1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Boot from USB

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by JamesGrey, Apr 23, 2017.

1. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

I want to try out LibreELEC on my box, so I can run Kodi 17.1

I can't figure out how to boot from the USB after I created the image using the Librelec USB-SD creator.

Can someone give me some guidance please.

Thank You in Advance.
  2. mark2

mark2 Active Member

What steps have you tried so far to get it to boot
  3. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

I merely created the usb with Librelec USB-SD and used the image from https://yadi.sk/d/J9pHkMo0uHcKU/KRYPTON-17 as was suggested.

The usb is not readable on my pc now.

I inserted the usb into the minix box and tried the paperclip reset but the usb does not boot.
  4. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Which image did you choose there's a few different ones
  5. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

The recommended file was LibreELEC-S812.MXIII_Plus.arm-8.0.2.img
  6. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Ok you picked the correct img did you have any other USB dongles inserted when you tried to boot
  7. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

nothing else attached except this usb. Is it correct to hold reset button and turn on to boot from USB?
  8. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Try different USB ports insert pin in recovery press power on let go straight away then release pin from recovery
  9. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

Tried this still boots to Minix
  10. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Have you created the boot folder with the boot.scr script
  11. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

I just used the software to create the usb, it says it is bootable?

The official "LibreELEC USB-SD Creator" tool helps you choose and download the latest builds and/or Alpha/Beta versions for your hardware and create bootable USB and SD Card media
  12. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Yes but you have to activate multi-boot to make it boot from USB otherwise it will just boot from internal
    I suggest you have a read on the LibreElec forum
  13. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

I have read the forum, and I asked the question there as well, but reading the software says it should make the USB bootable. Once I create the USB it is no longer readable on my windows 10 pc so I could not add a file even if I wanted to.
  14. mark2

mark2 Active Member

This usually only happens if you haven't extracted the file first then burn to USB
    But without the boot folder created with the boot.scr copied to it you will not boot
  15. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

Can you then provide me with the steps to have this bootable and including the LibreELEC-S812.MXIII_Plus.arm-8.0.2.img file which is required ?
  16. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

perhaps someone from MINIX could assist in if booting from the USB is possible or is it only possible from an sd
    Thank You
  17. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Lets try again
    put your USB in windows can you open it and tell me what files are showing on your USB stick
  18. JamesGrey

JamesGrey New Member

It creates 2 drive letter O and P. P is not accessible.

Here is a screenshot of O USB BOOT 1.JPG
  19. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Ok from what you have in your pic you have a couple of files that shouldn't be on the USB
    try this right click LOST.DIR and delete also right click delete dtb
    Now with your Minix box unplugged insert USB try the port next to ethernet
    insertion pin/toothpick in recovery hole power up box then release pin straight away
  20. dryster

dryster Active Member

I read somewhere, I think it was on these forums, that the USB boot drive should be in USB1 on the MINIX.

Other things of memory, and you should also search the forums :

Switch your MINIX off, use the USB1 port (which is the one at the back) and use a key/pin/paperclip in the recovery hole, press power button and keep it pressed while powering on until you see the boot logo, let go of the power button then stop pressing the pin. The USB drive should be formatted FAT32.

I have no clue about LibreElec though, I have just enough knowledge on these things to be dangerous. :ROFLMAO:
    JamesGrey likes this.