1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

X5 mini Ethernet issues

Discussion in 'NEO X5 mini' started by Mitch, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Mitch

Mitch New Member

Hey guys, I am by no means computer savvy and will need noob level explanations.

I bought the minix neo x5 mini to use just as a media hub and also bought an apple airport express modem to give myself wifi in a small room. Approx 4m x 4m. After buying both of these i noticed that the x5 box says that it has wifi so if it does i would take the airport express back.

Now i have plugged the ethernet cord in and turned it on in the settings. It recognises there is an ethernet cable connected but when i try to use the internet eg. Browser it doesnt load anything.

I have turned the hotspot on and i can connect my phone to the minix but obviously i have the internet issue.

If i turn wifi on and hotspot my phone to the x5 i then have internet. So it seems to be something to do with the ethernet settings. With my laptop the ethernet works but i have to plug and unplug it a few times until it gets to channel 5. I have tried plugging and unplugging the ethernet in and out of the x5 with no luck. The ip address and all the other settings stay the same each time i do it.

MAC
    a0:1e:0b:00:ec:0f

IP Address

Netmask

Gateway

DNS1

DNS2

The firmware is jellybean 4.4.2. Do i need to upgrade the firmware to kitkat 250? One would think that the thing should work straight out of the box.

So in the end how do i get the ethernet to work and Can i use the x5 to give wifi to my phone and laptop if I use an ethernet cord or will i have to use the airport express to give my room wifi?

Sorry for the long question but i wanted to be thorough and clear.

Thanks in advance