1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Help with (New (or not)) U9-H

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by scaramonga, Oct 12, 2017.

1. scaramonga

scaramonga New Member

So guys, I just got my U9-H set up today, and I'm starting to suspect the item I bought ain't new.

F/W is 002, and loading the update app shows it paused at 9% complete, and asks if I want to resume updating?

Box is loaded with all sorts of nonsense apps, that I suspect Minix never put there? (can someone give me a list of stock apps on a fresh install of system please?)

Kodi does not load, it just crashes with 'unfortunately stopped error', besides that, it is also loaded with utter bloat, and has some loading screen that says 'Pulse' (with some fancy logo) on it.

Resumed the update anyway, just to see, and it completed and shows F/W now at 003, lol.

I want to wipe the whole system and put latest F/W on, as I take it this would be the best route, or not?

Am I best flashing latest with the USB Burning Tool using the OTG cable?

A3 remote works fine, so that's a positive :)

Thx for any help guys!
  2. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Well as it got kodi pulse build on there it definitely is not new where did you buy it from as I would be sending it back
    As for updates you could check again and if it gives no4 go again
    As far as flashing as long as you use the OTG Cable that come with the box you should be ok
  3. scaramonga

scaramonga New Member

Thanks, I thought as much. I got it from Ebay (UK supplier), so I could lodge a claim via Paypal, but irritating, you know ;)
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I think I'd be returning it too!

You can perform a Factory reset if you don't want to flash it. Then continue with the updates.

Or use this method...
    USB.zip update package:
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=U9H_FW006.zip

MD5 checksum: 845AA2848CE8D50DE32E9286A6CE552C

USB .zip update guide:
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/how-to-use-the-usb-zip-update-method-x6-x8-series.6828/

Please use a download tool which supports resume function to download the update package, and please make sure you verify the MD5 checksum before proceeding to update!!
  5. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Some re-sellers will install their own build on Kodi and possibly install other apps/settings.
    I would definitely do a factory reset.
  6. scaramonga

scaramonga New Member

Thx guys.

Flash went OK via USB tool, all updated to F/W 006, and much less bloated. Kodi now works, although I was under the impression Minix had its own Kodi build?, no worries as it works (well, loads).

Any how to get the YouTube app back? There were 2 versions installed after reset, and I uninstalled the smaller of the two, (I know!) but this was the better interface version as it turns out, and the one left is the new all glaring white version, which now only exists if one re-installs?

The A3 mouse works great, but I notice it disappears after not using it for 20 or so seconds, is this normal or is there some setting to change this behaviour?

Sorry for all questions guys and thanking you all kindly.
  7. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

Download U9H_FW006.zip update and save to a USB stick / SD card.

Unplug power cord, insert USB Stick / SD card, re-plug in power. Then press and hold in the U9 box power button for at least 6 seconds to get into Android Recovery.

From there you can flash the U9H_FW006.zip update from SD card or Udisk and all included System Apps will be restored without touching your user configured data.

I never use the awful USB Burning Tool.
    Its Android recovery and U9H_FW00x.zip's every time. Never have any issues AND I never have to restore and reconfigure my user settings and Apps. (y)
  8. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Yes, it is normal. Power saving!
    The cursor will also disappear when you press the D-Pad direction keys.
    You may have to press a key twice as this remote sleeps and sometimes one press wakes it up an the second press performs the key function.
  9. scaramonga

scaramonga New Member

Thx, but it didn't work, after update, the app remained the same. I ended up doing another full re-flash to solve problem, all OK now. Box seems to be working good, so far ;)

Ah I see!, that's fine, yeah I noticed that with the OK button, sometimes it takes 2 presses for it to register.
  10. scaramonga

scaramonga New Member

Love the A3 remote, a real gem to use, it really is :) I prefer the mouse mode, whereas my wife don't lol. Only complaint about it is, no back light (my eyes @ 54 years of age cant see as well as before, lol), but we both love it regardless :) Great stuff!

CEC works great also, on my old Sammy TV.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  11. jimwc09

jimwc09 New Member

Some sellers will open the box, update firmware and install apps for customers. In my case, I requested the seller not to install anything in it so he sent me a sealed box. This box doesn't have many bloatware.