1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by peter3232, Jul 21, 2017.

1. peter3232

peter3232 New Member

Hi my name is Peter just joined liked to hi ,not very computer minded have had the minix 8 for a while now and has been great, all of a sudden every time I try to load a movie or series it says ,have no steam ,just wondering if anybody out could help me with my problem (thanks)
  2. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

Welcome ! ....you will have to give more details ! what App ( I assume Kodi) if so what version ? Minix 8 ??
    Marm likes this.
  3. peter3232

peter3232 New Member

Hi it is a minix 8
    Kernel version3.10.33
    Model number neo-x8h- plus
    Android version. 4.4.2
    Thanks
  4. midnight

What App are you using ?
  5. peter3232

peter3232 New Member

Sorry not really understand what app means
    I am running through the internet then straight to the tv
    It works on popcorn but there is about 4 other apps like show box. Movie he. Mega box that it comes up with have no steam thanks
  6. midnight

If it works for Popcorn , then it should work for the others .... do a search and make sure you are using the latest working version/Apk. Sometimes people will say not to do updates so you may have to roll back a version or two . I don't use any of those !
  7. peter3232

peter3232 New Member

Ok will try thanks
  8. Marm

Marm Member

Looking back at your posts I see you say you don't know what an "app" is. So I will try to start over from the beginning and give a basic overview.

App is an abbreviation for application.

There are many stand alone apps that are just streaming applications that run by themselves. Some are paid apps with monthly subscriptions such as NetFlix, CraveTV, Hulu, FilmOn TV and Acorn TV.

There are also free stand alone streaming apps such as Popcorn TV, Showbox,Terrarium TV, World TV, Mobdro, Megabox HD, Crackle and many others.

Some cable and fiber TV companies and TV networks provide stand alone streaming apps to their subscribers either free or for an additional charge.

Some stand alone streaming apps come in both a free and paid version and most paid apps have free trials for a limited time.

Then there are thousands addons that can not be run by themselves but must be run inside a media player app called Kodi or MiniX's own XMBC version of Kodi. Some popular Kodi addons are Elysium, Exodus Phoenix, and thousands more.

As of June 2017 many free stand alone apps and Kodi addons shut down either because of legal problems or fear of legal action. This is not unusual as apps have been coming and going since the beginning of computing.

That said if your favorite streaming app or add-on stopped working because it shut down due to legal problems there is nothing anyone can do.

Also, we can not help you stream copyrighted material using apps or addons where the legality is questionable.

Make sure you have the latest versions of your apps and add-ons. You may also find apps and Kodi setup information with a Google, Yahoo or YouTube search.

You say you do not have much computer knowledge. None is really needed if you can search online for instructions and take it slow doing each instruction one step after another. Nothing is difficult but it does require a willingness to learn, ability to follow instructions, perseverance, accuracy and patience. If you can not manage get help. I usually say to find a knowledgeable geek who if you are lucky you can pay with Pepsi and Dorittos.

So what apps no longer work?
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    midnight and Marty like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Active Member

Very nicely said!!
    Marm likes this.