1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Is a VPN essential for using Kodi? If yes, than what VPN?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by adilmalick, May 18, 2016.

1. adilmalick

adilmalick New Member

I'd like to avoid a letter from my ISP if I use kodi with some of the better addons. I know a lot of the content is just streaming, but I'm not sure if that type of thing will get a letter the same as downloading a torrent will.

2. smyers10

smyers10 New Member

I, too, would like an answer to that. I live outside the US (I am currently back in the US for a Dr.'s appointment). I have wide band Data (just got it last week!) of 5 meg. I would like to know of a VPN who is not "Resource Hungry" that would do the job, but leave me with enough bandwidth to be able to watch TV shows, movies, etc. I do not need HD, but it would be nice to have. Any suggestions?

Cizzz likes this.
  3. Snakebite

Snakebite Active Member

Private internet access

4. dandino

dandino New Member

IpVanish

5. -Frankie-

-Frankie- New Member

Why would using Kodi trigger your ISP to sent you a letter?

6. dryster

dryster Active Member

Hi @-Frankie- when you use KODI to stream certain items your ISP may pick up the signature of the stream and identify it as pirated or torrented material. If you have approved add-ons for KODI then probably everything is ok (see the KODI website) if you have installed banned add-ons, then more than likely you will be watching pirated material. Many users believe that using a VPN will shield them from tracking, that any old VPN will simply make them anonymous, private or invisible when really it's very complicated to trick your ISP, mainly as they can see your data usage and habits. The KODI banned addons make it easy to watch pirated media and in the UK there is a lot of chatter in the media about if KODI "fully loaded" boxes are legal, and a crackdown on dealers who sell them.

Tricking your ISP is one thing with a VPN, tricking the NSA as they collate data about individuals is another and the tools of the trade are becoming available to more than the agencies. At the moment, watching a pirated film is probably not going to hurt an individual user, however, forensic fingerprinting and watermarking of digital files will eventually result in KODI users getting monthly bills from their ISPs or the DRM police to pay for copyrighted material that they have been watching on their "free" boxes.

Do a Google search for Cisco Streaming Piracy Prevention (SPP) to see what is being developed.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  7. no8080

no8080 Member

A VPN is not needed for Kodi, as described it is used to shield you from an ISP when using dodgy streaming sources, not legit ones like youtube.

The talk of DRM and Cisco SSP annoys me, I don't stream anything, but I have a large collection of video media, downloaded. To put it simply because I do not have the hardware or time to play, rip my own DVD/Bluray collection, well that was until I was bought an Xbox One for Christmas. My first bluray player and my only DVD player for 10 years. I virtualised everything, including my PC using a large NAS box, for media storage and running virtual servers. DVD player went in the bin and I bought thin and light laptops with no cd drive.

I digitised my DVD collection over 10 years ago, said good bye to using physic media and store my ongoing collection of DVD/blurays. Most still have the factory shrink wrap on them. I am legally allowed to backup any copyrighted material I own under UK law.

Downloading copyrighted material is not illegal, well not yet, it is illegal to distribute copyrighted material. So given I am not breaking the law, will I be caught by DRM, I think so, until someone develops the next way to strip it. My point is, any system put in place will likely be circumvented. For example, for years Sky TV said there satellite signal was unhackable, that's like putting a red flag to bull, sit was hacked, they said bluray DRM was unrippable, I think it lasted 4 weeks, if I remember.

The answer to piracy in my opinion is not DRM, make it accessible and cheap, for example netflix. I think most people would pay a tenner or more a month for streaming of everything, but movie studios would never be happy with this, simply because of greed. My reasoning for this? Disney make $600M plus on big marvel movies, $900m on star wars movies, yes I know these are big budget examples, but that is pure profit, after movie budget, advertising and distribution costs,

Neil

8. dryster

dryster Active Member

What did they say back in the 1980's?

"Home Taping is Killing Music"

Well, it didn't, did it.

9. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Ahhh, I remember those days! :love::rolleyes::D
    Always trying to record from the weekly Top 40 without picking up the DJ's voice! :)
    And I still went out and bought records!!! ;):p

10. no8080

no8080 Member

Yes, I remember recording the top 40, also, recording TV, pausing and starting the recording to miss the adverts, building up a media collection on VHS!!

Copying other peoples computer games on tape, movies copied from one VHS to another.

It never harmed the industry, look at the millions GTA 5 has brought in.

11. scox

scox New Member

Kodi does not require a VPN, you don't need it.

12. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

of course it doesn't !...Kodi is a media player designed for playing your legally owned content :sneaky:;):cool:

Rui Oliveira and midnight like this.
  13. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Axiusar likes this.
  14. Aleks77

Aleks77 New Member

As far as I understand, a VPN is nothing but an encrypted "tunnel" that transfers the Internet activity between a certain PC and a host server. The Internet is a public place, but a VPN adds a dose of anonymity, making it harder for someone to track your activities. So it's up to you to decide whether you want that anonymity and additional security. Personally I use Express VPN as according to these reviews on firesticktricks.cоm/best-vpn-kodi.html , it's considered to be number one VPN provider for Kodi. So, having a VPN for Kodi absolutely is not obligatory, but since you'll be connecting to online content through it, it's not a bad idea to invest in one.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. Murtlap

Murtlap New Member

I used vpn before but still sometimes had problem with access. I don't understand the trend to restrict app for some locations. Anyway I am using fineproxy proxy server. Everything works well with no glitches.