1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

KODI 14 HELIX

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX' started by jruiz14, Dec 23, 2014.

1. jruiz14

jruiz14 New Member

new kodi 14 helix, with support H265

web KODI.TV
  2. user.7410

user.7410 New Member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    MKS likes this.
  3. 140hours

140hours New Member

I'm a newbie *(my NEO X8-H Plus arrives tomorrow!).

I take it that Minix' implementation of XBMC is optimized for the player, and that it would not be a good idea to try and manually
    upgrade the 13.1 Gotham *(?) currently to the new Kodi 14 Helix, is that correct?

So in other words, wait for a firmware update or other update regarding Helix?

Thanks!
  4. pani100

pani100 Member

You can install Kodi 14 as it will work separate from the minix version.
    From their website:
    "The caveat to this update is that the decoding of h.265 is entirely software based. This means most low power systems, such as those operating Android or iOS, may struggle compared to the heftier HTPCs or Intel NUCs and ZOTAC ZBOXes that are running desktop and laptop processors."

As the X8-H Plus is meant to do hardware decoding of h.265, do not know what the result will be on that issue.

Also:
    "On the Android side, hardware playback improvements continue, including more and better support for various chipsets, improved fast forward and rewind capability, as well as 4K support for the AMLogic s802 chipset."

We possibly have to wait for a Kodi 14 update to include the new S812 chipset which is found in our X8-H Plus boxes.
    It all looks promising. Just got to have a little patience for the software to catch up with the brand new hardware.:)
  5. ENDRJUPL

ENDRJUPL Well-Known Member Super Moderator

There is no harm in trying. You can install Kodi just like any other app. It will not replace the minix xbmc.
    Mathew likes this.
  6. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Just use MINIX XBMC beta 8, which the H.265 support is HARDWARE.
    Mathew and Heisenberg1 like this.
  7. 140hours

140hours New Member

Please post a link for the minix XBMC beta 8, thanks.
    Frankrose likes this.
  8. MINIX - Ken

9. Ggp759

Ggp759 New Member

Hi ken. When are the purple issues with h.265 videos going to be fixed? Thanks
  10. MINIX - Ken

I have no idea about the "purple issues".
  11. Ggp759

Ggp759 New Member

The screen has purple pixelation when playing back 4k files throught xbmc 13.3.3 beta 8 or the included 4k player locally or though smb. The videos are clips downloaded from this site. http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?cat=demouhd Videos are encoded in HEVC. Try the transformer one for example.
  12. MINIX - Ken

OK
  13. wms

wms Member

For Kodi v14, do you install from here on Minix - get the Android version?
    http://kodi.tv/download/

Or do you do this via another way?

Thanks again forum.
  14. ENDRJUPL

Yes, from the link you posted. Download ARM version for android.
  15. wms

wms Member

Perfect and thanks again for the quick reply. Once I become a pro at this, I hope to pay it forward :)
  16. ENDRJUPL

That's how a good forum works mate. Read, learn, ask and once you have a "know how" - pay it forward :) Cheers.
    Daniel How likes this.
  17. 140hours

140hours New Member

So to confirm, because I want the best version of XBMC for this new player, it's ok to use Kodi Helix 14 as opposed to Minix' special 13.3 Beta?

Thanks again!
  18. Goala

Goala New Member

I would not say that. Read the posts above:

Agmeusic_Bits likes this.
  19. nunny666

nunny666 Member

Ime on Gotham 13-2 at the mo , everything plays well , on my plus ! , don't know if all the addons will work yet on kodi so ime hanging fire before using kodi at the mo
  20. I personally havent noticed any difference between the two in terms of playback performance. Its also worth nothing that the two can be installed side by side without interfering with each other so you should be able to test between the two and remove the one you ultimately dislike the most.