1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Kodi V17 & My Neo X8H-H Plus

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Official Firmware Releases' started by Les Thomas, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Les Thomas

Les Thomas New Member

Kodi V17 requires Android 5.

Will my Neo X8-H Plus receive an update and move to Android 5 so I can install Kodi V17?

If 'Yes', when may we expect an update?
    SLauder and Lolo like this.
  2. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

What features of Kodi V17 do you think will enhance the performance and viewing experience of your X8-H Plus??

Besides, there are many, many Android KitKat devices out there in the big wide world so app developers aren't going to ignore that huge user base any time soon!!!
    Dr Goodvibes and midnight like this.
  3. ComMas

ComMas New Member

Some new addons may not work correctly with old versions
  4. Menorca Man

Oh come on!! Kodi is primarily a media player so what sort of new addons do you think MAY not work correctly with Android KitKat compatible versions of Kodi/MinixXBMC? In any case, serious app developers would not wave goodbye to such a huge user base and will therefore release pre-Kodi V17 versions of their future addons. That will be case until such time the user base shrinks to numbers that no longer makes it worth their while.
    dryster, Dr Goodvibes and Villa like this.
  5. ComMas

ComMas New Member

What do you suggest ? Install oldest versions of XBMC ?
  6. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Why would you want to install the oldest version of XBMC? Just use the latest compatible version of Kodi/XBMC/SPMC !
  7. Les Thomas

Les Thomas New Member

I am using SPMC and audio goes via spidf to my bottom end non aac compatible Yamaha Amplifier. On the vast majority of files I play there is a audio sync problem. Currently I have my SPMC audio sync set to +150 and this sorts out most files. Others need to be adjusted back to zero or some up to +250. I am told Krypton addresses many of the audio sync problems so going to Kodi/SPMC 17 could address my audio sync issues.

Therefore I am disappointed my Minix Neo X8-H Plus may not update to Android 5. I paid for a better machine than what you pay for many of the cheaper current android TV boxes out there to ensure I would be able to keep up with the most recent version (or more up to date) of Android.
    Damon Peterson likes this.
  8. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

I have a similar setup - HDMI to the TV and SPDIF to the amp and have no audio sync issues - but I use XBMC for Minix 15.3 and have the audio settings set for android and Kodi etc. I did have your issue when I first set up. I wish I could remote in to see all the settings as I'm at work but the two crucial settings for me were "adjust display refresh rate to match video" and "sync playback to display" in settings/video settings/playback in Kodi (XBMC). There's also a setting in Mbox (android settings) to sync your display. There's one more setting that stopped a panning stutter in Kodi(XBMC) which I can't remember

As a result I have near perfect video playback and no audio sync issues unless the source is really bad. I'd suggest you try this version as its built for the box you use and with the latest firmware works really well. The only issue I have left is a mild panning stutter on streaming videos from Exodus.

You don't need the latest version of Kodi- I can do everything on 15.3 I need. And I stream via Exodus, play from my network - video and music, live radio pictures and more. Its taken me a long time to tweak it to get it right but its good now- and the settings are backed up using Kodi backup automatically. I don't plan to update or change it again.
    PhillyGTA likes this.
  9. Les Thomas

Les Thomas New Member

Swamprat96, thanks for your advice. My setup is slightly different as I am using SPMC, V 16.3 and have HDMI and SPIDF to the Yamaha Tuner Amp. And I am using the Xonfluence skin.

I jumped into the SPMC settings and then Settings, Video and turned Sync playback to display 'On". I found a setting just above it which read "Adjust display refresh rate" which I turned from "off" to "Always".

In the Minix Box Settings I found "Self adaptive refresh rate switching" which I turned to "On".

I have no problems at all with video playback via "Exodus" (my go to streaming addon)"

I will see how that goes. I have previously had the Minix connected by HDMI direct to the TV but moved back to the Amp when sorting out DTS playback.

Thanks for your advice.

EDIT: Just had a quick play with the Minix and the suggested settings from swamprat96 and found that I had lost my ability to play DTS audio through my amplifier. I reverted to my original settings and DTS is again enabled?
  10. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Hmm. I had issues with dts now you mention it. It worked but I got random static bursts. Again there are settings for both Dolby and dts in kodi. But why not try xbmc?
  11. Les Thomas

Les Thomas New Member

It seems to me that Koying the guy who does SPMC (and formerly the Android expert with the Kodi Development team) is probably the major influence or guy who put together XBMC. His latest versions of SPMC are directed mainly at the Nvidia Shield but was also setup for the Minix range. So I am pre supposing that SPMC is probably just an updated version of XBMC?

And getting back to my original post, that is why I am disappointed that it appears the Minix Neo X8-H Plus isn't being upgraded to Android 5.

I still have XBMC on my Minix so could give it a try.
  12. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

I believe I have seen quite a few posts from people having issues with Yamaha amplifiers.

However, you could try this which works perfectly for me with x8h+ and external avr using spmc 16.3 (or 16.4 now) for all 5.1DD and DTS with no issues whatsoever

Minix to TV via HDMI
    Minix to AVR via SPDIF
    Minix Self adaptive refresh rate ON
    SPMC video settings > Playback > Adjust display refresh rate OFF
    SPMC video settings > Playback >Sync playback to display disabled

in SPMC audio output settings
    Number of channels should be set to 2.0
    and pass through options enabled for what your amplifier is capable of
  13. Les Thomas

Les Thomas New Member

Thanks Frederick99, will give it a go over the weekend, it has just gone past beer o'clock here so Minix Audio issues have gone onto the backburner. Will post back on how it goes.
  14. Les Thomas

Les Thomas New Member

I attach my Minix to a 4 year old Panasonic TV, the last ever of their plasma models. It has a great picture and many features.

ARC is available on HDMI 2 so my Yamaha Amplifier is connected to that port. Previously the Minix was connected to the Yamaha via its HDMI3 connection. When connected this way the Minix worked fine except for some audio sync issues.

I reset the Minix up to the Panasonic's HDMI 1 and used the settings provided by Frederick99 above. Last night (Sunday) we watched a movie and a TV show episode I had obtained, and another TV show which I streamed. In all cases the the audio sync worked perfectly when connected this way. The only problem was the Minix lost connection with the TV's HDMI 1 on a couple of occasions.

At the end of a show the screen would go to black before returning to SPMC's Home Screen. The TV screen remained black and the Panasonic's TV's channel info would appear in the top left corner as if there was no signal. I knew the Minix was still 'there' as the Yamaha audio connected via SPDIF indicated PCM. However the picture would not show on the TV screen as if the video component had lost connection.

After resetting the box (power out, wait 20 seconds then reconnect and boot) the Minix Android icon returned along with the Minix boot screen.

This problem would never occur when the Minix was connected via HDMI3 on the Yamaha amplifier. Thus my hope that my Minix would be upgraded to Android 5.0

Suggestions on a solution welcome.
  15. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

Watch all my 'Bluray' movies on an ONKYO receiver with DTS 5.1 surround sound.
    If you're lucky like me, Kodi 16 and KK 4.4.2 is good enough.

Making KK as good as it can be seems a good bet, compared to starting over again with Android LP or MM and having to address all the issues that comes with that. AND I'm not a fan of all the dramas of added permissions that come with the latest Android OS.

Minix X8H Plus is not a device for life and many smart phones released at the same time are no longer supported, so big ups to Minix for their continued support.

Sent from my Xperia S using Tapatalk
  16. Menorca Man

I totally agree. Unfortunately, even if the X8-H plus was to receive an upgrade to Lollipop, certain users would complain if they then didn't receive a subsequent upgrade to Marshmallow and later Nougat too!! :rolleyes:
    Rui Oliveira and sangaz like this.
  17. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

Maybe like phones there should be one upgrade to the next Android system that way people won't feel cheated.
  18. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

My phone has never had an Android update! o_O
  19. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

I think the main makes will, such as my LG G3, my turd Elephone which i use as a door stop, no.
  20. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

My Sony Xperia is still on 4.3 (JB), I wouldn't class Sony as not a main make.
    Villa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.