1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Kodi V17 & My Neo X8H-H Plus

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Official Firmware Releases' started by Les Thomas, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Mine's a NOKIA, but it is a Windows phone! ;):ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
    Never had an update!

I also have an Archos Tablet that is still on Android 4.0.4 (ICS).
  2. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

You may well be right. I had a HTC windows phone once, what a load of rubbish, never had an update. I'm not familiar with Archos, doesn't sound like a top make.
  3. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Archos were around as media players way before Android appeared!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archos

My phone is a hand-me-down from the wife, and yes it is a pile of s*** (the phone, not the wife!)
  4. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

Well, I don't know which Nokia Windows phone you're referring to Villa but I use a Nokia Lumia 830 as my daily driver. I purchased it unlocked and SIM free a couple of years ago and its updated itself regularly since then, up to and including Windows 10 Mobile!! Removable battery, a MicroSD card slot and a decent main camera with optical image stabilisation, so no way could I call this particular model a pile of s***!! :) (y)
    Villa likes this.
  5. Avivnet

Avivnet New Member

I already sold one of my Minix X8-H, since it doesn't seem like Minix is going to make an OS upgrade to Lollipop/Marshmallow.
    I bought a cheaper tv box with Marshmallow in it, and it works like a charm so far..
    Minix, if you don't upgrade you lose customers!
    scesarin likes this.
  6. Menorca Man

For those that feel they can't survive without Android Lollipop all may not be lost!! http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-x8-h-plus-to-5-0-lollipop.4838/page-5#post-104288
  7. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

I'm just adding this so I can untick "follow this thread" as its tedious. i had no illusions about the level of android I was getting when I bought this device- and lollipop was just out when I bought it.

Krypton17 might be great. So might Windows 12. I don't care as Isengard works fine for me. The unofficial add-ons I don't care about
    dryster and Dr Goodvibes like this.
  8. Snakebite

Snakebite Moderator Moderator

Guys, I think minix need to bite the bullet here and ensure any new devices they release have android Oreo installed to maintain a happy user base. This approach should prevent concerns about Kodi Lillehammer not working correctly.
    dryster, Dr Goodvibes and Higgs like this.
  9. frutiloopis

frutiloopis Member

I waiting to upgrade my minix neo X8-H plus at android 5.0 lollipop to use kodi krypton.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  10. cillo99

cillo99 New Member

i have been a "silent" reader of this forum and until recently a satisfied user of my minix x8-h-plus but...................................no update to being able to use Kodi v17......???????
    Come on Minix.......are you serious ? I fully agree with Avinet: no upgrade....you are going to loose customers. You want wto go the same way as Xtreamer ?. They also never ever listen to their customers and from once being one of the big players in the "mediaplayer-world" they are now reduced to being just a niche.

The ease to use Kodi on Minix was and will be the ONLY reason why I bought and would buy Minix. No new Kodi....ok bye bye Minix. And I think many customers will do the same after they have used the new Kodi-version.

I just installed it on my old 2009 windows 7 laptop and ...wow it looks AND works perfect. You of course have to find your way but after about an hour I knew: no more old Kodi-versions. This will be the one.

Until Kodi releases the definite version of Krypton I will wait/ give you a chance to change your mind but if you stick to this non-upgrading policy it will be bye bye Minix.
    scouserblueblood likes this.
  11. Les Thomas

Les Thomas New Member

I have solved my problem with my Minix Neo X8-H Plus not being able to run Kodi 17. I will sell it to some other poor sap and in the meantime I have ordered a new Nvidia Shield. At least the Nvidia Company seem to do their best to keep the products they sell and support up to the mark with updates!

Bye Minix!
  12. ilGimmy

ilGimmy Member

Actually the support for shield and Kodi is from Koying not from nVidia

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
  13. Menorca Man

Guys, I'm not sure how many times it has to be repeated throughout the forum but there is a complication due to the Amlogic chipset:

1.) Amlogic do not have 5.x SDK for S802 (X8, X8-H) - so no chance
    2.) Amlogic have a demo 5.x SDK for S812-H (X8-H PLUS) - so could be possible
    3.) They do not provide any technical support for the 5.x demo SDK of S812-H (X8-H PLUS)

Minix will not release an official Android 5.x (Lollipop) firmware based on an unsupported Amlogic 5.x SDK.

However, HardwareGuru (Minix Developer/Administrator) is currently working on an Android 5.x port for the Minix X8-H Plus using Amlogic's demo SDK. If, and when, he has cleared out all the potential bugs HardwareGuru will likely release it as an unofficial, Community Edition. His latest post is in thread:

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-x8-h-plus-to-5-0-lollipop.4838/page-6#post-108223
    tigerporc and Villa like this.
  14. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

Yeah that's good to hear. That thread though is closed and last post Sept so its not surprising people are asking for an update in different threads.
    xant14 likes this.
  15. Menorca Man

Well it might be closed but it doesn't prevent people reading it!!

Besides, from the Forum Rules:
    It looks as if the Mods and Admins have been kind to a lot of people!!
    Villa likes this.
  16. me who

me who Member

It appears the the only programmer Minix has is having health issues so 5.1 probably won't be released? :( I wonder if they are having financial issues and can't get more programmers? It would make sense if their sales are dropping because their expensive boxes can't do what the cheap boxes are already doing. I hope xbox one gets kodi before my Minix boxes stop being able to run any of the plugins I use.
  17. cody

cody New Member

Many thanks for contacting us.

MINIX NEO X8-H Plus was released in November 2014 – approx. 28 months ago.

Since that date it has received ten firmware updates, all can be found on the MINIX Forum here:

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/official-firmware-releases.96/

We guarantee a minimum of 18 months firmware update and support for each model from the date of their initial release.

There are currently no immediate plans to update NEO X8-H Plus to Android Lollipop or Marshmallow OS.

If your wish to upgrade is in relation to KODI, I recommend instead to use our latest version of XBMC MINIX Edition.

Our latest version of XBMC MINIX Edition, based off KODI 16.3 offers superior performance, stability and compatibility with our hardware
  18. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

Where can you get XBMC Minix Edition? A link would be good.
  19. Menorca Man

tigerporc and scubascuba3 like this.
  20. maorgit

maorgit New Member

What does 18 months mean? You promised an update to Android 5.1.1 around 5 months ago. What kind of updates do you provide in these 18 months if not a firmware upgrade? We are stuck on a android version that was released in 2013... I am pretty sure you could upgrade the firmware in the 18 months you support. This is so upsetting. I i bought the TV box when it was the newest minix device and i only have it for a year and a bit. I will never buy minix again or recommend anyone to do so.
    You are supposed to be one of the biggest TV box companies and you have only one developer and don't care about customer service.
    I made my mistake choosing minix. Should have bought the tronsmart box with the same s812 processor with Android 5.1.1 and costed 70 $ less at the time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Dinko and scouserblueblood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.