1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Kodi V17 & My Neo X8H-H Plus

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Official Firmware Releases' started by Les Thomas, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirsa

kirsa New Member

HardwareGuru told that x8 gets 5.1.1 so it will come as i eagerly wait with my x8 too. After update i plan to install KODI 17. I dont know when but i am happy it comes at least someday :)
  2. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

3. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

4. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

Which version of XBMC would that be then?! Run XBMC, go to SYSTEM > System info and post a screenshot.
  5. kirsa

kirsa New Member

Looks like next box i should buy is x86 based as those darn ARM based boxes have mostly closed source chips or Nvidia shield which has way longer support. Amlogic is horrible company until he provides FULL source code but currently Amlogic even wont provide SDK-s. Boycott Amlogic until source is released.

Sad that bare X8 has been abandoned.
  6. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

[​IMG]
  7. dryster

dryster Active Member

Is this all that an Android box has become? - a box to run Kodi, and if it cannot run the latest version of Kodi then it's a piece of crap?
  8. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

Maybe. Kodi fills a gap sometimes, well it does until it stops working when 17 kicks off.
  9. dryster

dryster Active Member

Unboxings and reviews on Youtube and online of most Android boxes eventually turn into a Kodi review, which is the main reason that mini computers with HDMI are being sold I suppose although it is a shame that not more Android box manufacturers are striving for HD Netflix capability, but I suppose that is the fault of Netflix not licensing.
  10. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dear all,

We shall release a Lollipop based firmware for X8H-PLUS in March or April,
    based on the last SDK released by Amlogic (May 2015).

This is not within our original plan because of the lack of support from chipset vendor,
    but we understand lots of you want it and therefore we shall just make one.

Kodi 17 will work but will not be fully functional.
    (e.g. their newest passthrough needs API23 or higher)

Please note.

Reference:
    http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox/5.1_ReleaseInfo
  11. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

you may uninstall your older version and then install a newer one.
    scubascuba3 likes this.
  12. kirsa

kirsa New Member

MINIX, please drop off Amlogic to something much more open. Amlogic restricts everyone so much without releasing full code.
    bel4_20 and Dinko like this.
  13. Armand

Armand Member

this is actually very good news, could you explain a little more about not being fully functional, what will not work?

Thanks
  14. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

15. Citislicker

Citislicker Member

I own two Minix boxes and I can't download the New Version of Kodi 17.1.. the issue here is simple guys. You need to the Android 5.0 and above to in order to have Kodi 17.0 or 17.1 .. Minix will tell you to buy another box instead of providing there customer base with firmware update. Total bullshit if you ask me. Why should I spend more money on a new box ? Why can't Minix figure this shit out?
  16. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Cant you see the post above yours wrote by Minix Ken
  17. dryster

dryster Active Member

What about when Kodi 19 comes out and it's minimum requirement is Nougat - API 24 - are we going to blame Minix again?.
  18. scubascuba3

scubascuba3 Member

No, people just expect a reasonable amount of support and be upgraded to the next android version in this case.
    me who likes this.
  19. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

Ahhh well I'm sick of this conversation going around in circles. Seems a hard one for people to grasp.
    You're getting a buggy firmware built from what is essentially a proof of concept SDK.
    So you'll get your Kodi 17 with awesome features like the Estuary skin and no passthrough audio.
    I'll just leave mine on KitKat and be stuck with a stable bug free firmware with the limitations in Kodi such as passthrough audio and all the same add-ons as 17.

When they stop working I'll run LibreELEC Kodi 17,18 or whatever.

Thread closed, all further threads on the will be closed. It's been explained enough!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.