1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Custom ROM LibreElec 8.2 RC kodi 17.6 RC1

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by datrh, Sep 3, 2017.

1. windex961

windex961 Member

apparently you can stick the img.gz file in the update folder and it is recognized with the .nocompat file.... Everything installed and I do now have wireless, ethernet and bluetooth connectivity.. so far everything looks pretty good and very responsive, great job datrh!
  2. AxesOfEvil

AxesOfEvil Member

I copy it to my /storage/.update directory and reboot. I found that from Jarvis this method didn't work with the img.gz (though it does work with the .tar file), so I did it in 2 steps:
    1) I installed from the libreelec forums:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=210611
    LibreELEC-S8X2.arm-8.2.rc2-X8H-PLUS.tar

After a reboot (which gets me 8.2-rc2), I then copy the img.gz above to /storage/.update and reboot again. Then verify that it installed properly and you are good to go. Uboot probably would work, but I can do this without a paperclip or shuffling sd cards, so I prefer it when possible.
  3. datrh

datrh Active Member

ok
    i will rebuild a multi DTB image so we have one image working (i hope) for the X8H-Plus (early and latest hardware revision)
    if the tests are ok, i will put it in #1

edit : we can't make one image : the dtb (i will call it ) rev1 hardware and rev2 hardware are too close.
    not a big deal...

post#1 updated
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    kingsizept likes this.
  4. mark2

mark2 Active Member

I gave this a good test today running 1080p live tv for over 4 hours all played perfectly (y)
  5. svankan

svankan New Member

Great work!
    It works with LAN and wifi with this image on a usb memory.
    I can't use SD card and I still get this message every time.
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/openelec-minix-x8-h-plus.3342/page-82#post-130297

Can anyone confirm that boot from SD card works on X8-H Plus with the first HW revision?
    I can use the SD card from Android but not as a boot device.
  6. datrh

datrh Active Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  7. datrh

datrh Active Member

8. svankan

svankan New Member

9. datrh

datrh Active Member

ok tks for the feedback

i will made 2 dedicated builds, with specific names.

i will now focus to get my mess sorted :whistle:
  10. datrh

datrh Active Member

X8HP 1stgen seems to have trouble with X265
    how is it with X8HP 2ndgen?
  11. Tromatik

Tromatik New Member

12. senzalice

senzalice Member

Plays silky smooth for me.

How does one tell what generation X8H-PLUS they have?
  13. AxesOfEvil

AxesOfEvil Member

14. senzalice

senzalice Member

Yes...I used the 1st link.
  15. AxesOfEvil

AxesOfEvil Member

@datrh,
    I may have fixed my hevc issues. What I did was to build Demeteris's X8H-Plus image for RC3, but I switched to using meson8m2_n200_2G.dtd/dtb from surkovaex (I copied them from his repo)

Building in this way fixed my hevc playback. Can you make a build using your repo and his dtd/dtb?
  16. AxesOfEvil

AxesOfEvil Member

I have diffed the x8hp dtd from Demeteris and the one from surkovalex, and they are very similar. There only seem to be a few likely difference in memory addresses that are likely to affect decoding. I may try to go through them 1-by-one and see which ones are needed. Do you know if there is a way to alter the dtd without rebuilding the image? it would save me a bunch of time.
  17. AxesOfEvil

AxesOfEvil Member

Well, this seems to be the relevant change:
    Code:
    --- build.LibreELEC-S8X2.arm-8.2.RC3/linux-b69865e/arch/arm/boot/dts/amlogic/meson8m2_n200_2G.dtd    2017-09-04 18:29:38.275050784 -0700
    +++ build.LibreELEC-S8X2.arm-8.2.RC3/linux-b69865e/arch/arm/boot/dts/amlogic/meson8m2_x8hp.dtd    2017-09-04 17:55:09.215192414 -0700
    @@ -175,7 +175,7 @@
                     compatible = "amlogic,vdec";
                     dev_name = "vdec.0";
                     status = "okay";
    -                                reserve-memory = <0x08000000>; // 128M
    +                                reserve-memory = <0x04000000>; // 64M
    //        reserve-iomap = "true";
             };
    ///    -    picture decoder

That change is enough compared to Demetris's x8hp dtd to fix the hevc playback
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  18. datrh

datrh Active Member

yes maybe this dtb will also solve the SD boot for the X8HP-gen1

it rebuild only the linux package , transform selected dtd/dts into dtb files and inject the dtb file(s) in the uboot stuff or kernel img (if i'm not wrong).

it must be possible to this manually , without rebuilding the linux package but i'm not sure you will gain time
  19. AxesOfEvil

AxesOfEvil Member

I found I could modify the dtd directly in the build.*/linux-*/arch/arm/boot/dts/amlogic dir and run the build. It still takes a couple minutes, but doesn't need to recompile anything/
  20. datrh

datrh Active Member

ok nice tip (y)

after a few trials and errors, i've finally update my git repo. (not yet fully used to works with git)
    it's a works in progress.

links are in post #1

need your dtd file or can you link your img.gz so people can test if it boot from SD with gen1 device
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017