1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

live iptv questions for X8-H Plus

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX FAQs & Guides' started by tauket2, Jun 17, 2016.

1. tauket2

tauket2 New Member

Hi,

i searched around the forum a little bit but couldn't find specific answers. Sorry if it's out there somewhere, maybe i wasn't using the right terms. I am pretty noobish at all of this...

The main reason i bought this box was to see if i could effectively replace a cable subscription service.

i had seen a video on youtube where the fellow had a pretty snazzy looking tv guide addon and was scrolling through what seemed to be all live television feeds.

examples of what i'm looking for:

the wife loves to watch Big Brother on CBS and interact on social media in real time. is that at all possbile?

I watch hockey on certain specific french language channels here in montreal quebec, canada. i'm hoping i would be able to watch that in real time too.

so my question is what is the best way to acheive this? any tutorials out there? whats the best addon? sources?

thanks!
    chris
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

3. smera

smera Member

I suggest you search Google and Youtube 'IPTV Kodi' and you will find many sources. However, in most cases, addons cannot have the reliable connections as they have to be constantly updated and that depends on their authors. There are some paying subscription IPTV services (cheaper than cable) but I am not in a position to recommend one as I don't use it.
  4. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

Hi Chris,

Cutting the cable cord is an option when you really want to save some good money, on one hand, but you would have to get used to change a bit your "TV habits" on the other hand.

Why is that? @Higgs pointed you to my long text, I'll try to make it shorter here for the Live TV part...

- You may find some Kodi add-ons, but bear in mind that all the TV channels are not coming from TV providers, but from different people like us, who are re-streaming some of their TV channels. The availability of these channels via all those add-ons advertised on Youtube shouldn't be something to count 100% on. They may work or not (quality is another point here, don't expect full HD, though slowly different people started to re-streaming in 720p or even 1080p).
    - CBS: check here, they have live TV options (I assume you would still have to have at least internet connection from an ISP)
    - other local channels: there should be FTA (Free to Air) TV channels, you will need a DVB-T antenna (an outdoor one is better), so you will need a DVB-T receiver/tuner also (Minix does not have such TV tuner). Your TV set, if it's newer generation, may already have such a DVB-T tuner, you just need an antenna.
    I assume there should be a local electronics shop like RadioShak in US to buy an antenna and/or a DVB-T tuner also.

I would count at least on these last 2 options. Hopefully you can find those french channels you get from your cable TV operator as FTA channels also.
  5. tauket2

tauket2 New Member

thank you guys. this was all very helpful. I've been able to watch some live football (soccer) which is cool even though the quality wasn't great. i've already got pretty much everything on demand in terms of tv shows and movies... up to now i'm liking this even though, as you said adi_tca, consumption habits need to change a little.

i'll keep my cable subscription going though until the hockey season starts to see how i deal with that when the time comes

thanks again!
  6. David_Cole

David_Cole Member

Dexter pro and reboot are the absolute best options....

Mod edit: removed advertising

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
  7. David_Cole

David_Cole Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    All channels are 1080p or 720p with direct source... Not stolen from some other group.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk