1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Micro SD slot as the main C: disk drive.

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by Dome, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Dome

Dome New Member

Does anyone know if it possible to make Neo Z83-4 boot from MicroSD slot as the main C: disk drive? So that I can have Windows 10 installed on a microSD card permanently dedicated.

32GB is not good enough for Windows 10

If yes, please share HOW to make it happen.

Thanks in Advance

2. Minimuck

Minimuck New Member

Since nobody responded...

The free Windows 10 distributed with the Minix box is not licensed for larger than 32GB primary disks. It also probably won't allow installation on an external disk, but that's a guess.

I am not an expert, but these guesses are based on what I have gleaned about the free "mini" Windows license, and also based on my previous research into wanting to run Windows in a similar fashion.

You will very likely find operating system performance on a microSD card to be miserable anyway, particularly compared to the internal SSD. I would also have serious concerns about reliability. I don't think Windows is flash-friendly.

Personally, I have taken the path of least resistance and use external MicroSD cards and USB drives as auxiliary drives for data and selected applications. I explicitly install some large software packages to such a drive, if they can tolerate the slower speeds. I wouldn't put a database on a card, but might install productivity apps, some non-disk-heavy games, multimedia, etc.. You will have to override default locations during installation, but most programs run fine from a second disk.

Hope that helps.

3. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

The Windows 10 OS running on NEO Z83-4 isn't free, though it is heavily discounted.
    4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC is the maximum permitted configuration to obtain the discounted price, which is why NEO Z83-4 only includes 32GB eMMC.
    The micro SD card slot can only be used as external storage, so it's not posible to install and boot the Windows 10 OS from a micro SD card.
    We recommend to use the C: drive exclusively for Windows 10 OS.
    Then use either an external HDD or micro SD card to expand the total storage size for saving other data and content.
    NEO Z83-4 supports micro SD cards up to 256GB capacity, we tested using a Samsung EVO 256GB micro SD card.
    Software can be saved on a micro SD or external HDD by going to ‘System’ > ‘Storage’ > ‘Change where new content is saved’.

Rob54 and Higgs like this.
  4. Dome

Dome New Member

Considering that I am willing to buy a full new license.

Is it possible to install the Windows 10 (new license on an SD card (bigger than 32gb)???

THanks

5. Dome

Dome New Member

also, is there a way to get remote assistance as I am not a programmer?

6. Dome

Dome New Member

a telephone number or a live chat would just do fine rather than posting on a forum.

7. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

I think the point is, is that the SD card is not supported as bootable media.
    Maybe a HDD or USB pendrive is though! I'm not sure?

8. Sa7375

Sa7375 New Member

My two cents. Your primary argument against the size is that "32GB is not good enough for Windows 10". If that be so, why not use an external HDD or even an external SSD (which I use) for expanding space. I visualize more grief booting from an SD card as it will likely be slower and also that some drivers may not work as well as expected.

And if you do decide to use the External SSD, using the USB 3.0 port of the MINIX for faster speeds will be prudent.

Villa likes this.
  9. MINIX - John

No, as I stated in the previous message the micro SD card slot can only be used as external storage, so it's not posible to install and boot the Windows 10 OS from a micro SD card.

10. MINIX - John

Our customer support team are available 7-days a week at support@minix.com.hk
    They can help to deal with individual matters, the forum is not the only platform for help.

11. Dome

Dome New Member

ok tank you

12. Stephen Gandy

Stephen Gandy New Member

After Windows bloat ware installed with the latest update I was down to 3 gig and then today it asked to install yet another update and now is stuck. Windows is taking up a wopping 28 gig and there is no way to remove anything. As suggested I have a 64 gig external USB and that is for all my data. However even with that all on another drive, Windows is eating up all the 32 gig of space. Any suggestions would be welcome. I have removed all none essential programs from Windows as well.

Steve

13. MINIX - John

Have you deleted the old Windows version files from your C: drive?