1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Minix NGC-1?

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Don Grimme, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

I just watched a YouTube video by Rivers ("Tech Connect") of the NGC-1 that Minix was showing at CES. Very impressive! Intel/Windows-based, Quad Core Celeron N3150 processor, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB hard drive, gigabit Ethernet and Wi-Fi. Projected availability: two months. Price: probably $300-400.

Has anyone heard anything more about this wonder?
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

3. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

Thanks, Higgs! So this seems to be the actual product (code-named "Z") planned back in September. I'm starting to save for it. Perhaps when I've accumulated sufficient funds (from my retiree fixed income), the initial price will have dropped.
  4. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

It certainly looks like it from the specs. It definitely seems worth saving for :)
    My birthday is in March so hopefully its released before then - would make a nice present :)
    Villa and KAR like this.
  5. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

My birthday is in February, and I agree, it would make a very nice present! :D
  6. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

My birthday (70th) is this coming Wednesday (I'm buying myself a 5.1 soundbar to celebrate that), but my semi-annual book royalty check is due sometime in March. That will be my excuse. :)
  7. RMP888

RMP888 New Member

from the video the HDMI port is 1.4 rather than HDMI 2.0 the Neo U1 has? so i hope the HDMI port is updated before release.
  8. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

doubt they will, most nucs i have seen are 1.4
  9. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

It'll be HDMI 1.4 not 2.0
  10. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

It's not upgradable, it has been determined by the Intel processor.

Maybe their next gen will be upgraded.
  11. RMP888

RMP888 New Member

1.4 is good enough for me, so I am looking forward to the unit being generally available
  12. MINIX - Ken

It should be available now, a forum section for NGC-1 will be created soon.
  13. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

€400 price tag...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  14. MINIX - Ken

€80 goes to Microsoft. :whistle:
    There is zero discount for a PC with >2GB RAM & >32GB storage.
  15. Quincy

Quincy Active Member

I think it will be a hard sell at that kind of money but I sure you're marketing knows what it will sell for better than me, best of luck with it and I hope it sells well for MINIX but it's not for me at that price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  16. MINIX - Ken

People who prefer a ready-to-use computer could get this product.
    Barebone + Intel AC3165+ Samsung DDR3L RAM + Toshiba MLC SSD + genuine Win 10 license add up to more or less the same cost.
    It does cost slightly higher because the metallic housing is very expensive to produce,
    it's with the same material & architecture that the Mac is using.
    It's not made up of some cheap stuff that we are putting inside.
    I know some people may count OS as $0, but it's not genuine and to us it's €80.
    The most difficult challenge of this product is to make it fanless in such a small size.
    It's always cheaper to DIY, as a matter of fact. :)
    Quincy likes this.
  17. klm

klm New Member

Is it possible to sell it w/o windows, for example I have mine (option)?

For the difference of price w/o windows I'll upgrade to 8GB of RAM.
    Thx
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  18. Toknight

Toknight New Member

I don't see the forum option, is not on the site either :(
  19. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

NGC-1 sub-folder will be added later this week
  20. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

Good news about the upcoming NGC-1 sub-folder, John and Ken! FYI: cnxlinux has just done an unboxing video:

Still no reviews or opportunities to purchase, but this and the MINIX Team posts here are encouraging signs.

Although the price is somewhat daunting, I am one who only wants "ready-to-use." [I ain't no tinkerer. Getting the most out of Kodi is challenge enough for me.] My Neo X8-H Plus is divine, but I've been yearning for something even better. The Neo U1 is somewhat superior (and what I'd recommend to those starting out), but not superior enough for me to replace what I have. The NGC-1 would be! I'm saving up for it.