1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Movie just stops playing in Kodi?

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Fjodor2000, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

Hi,

If I start to play a movie in Kodi, after a couple of seconds or minutes it sometimes just stops without me doing anything. It's like I've pressed the Stop button on the remote, despite that I haven't. So Kodi just returns to the list of movies where I started playing the movie from.

What is this typically an indicator of? Has Kodi crashed? Or has it just encountered an unrecoverable error while playing the movie (e.g. codec bug?), so it has no choice but to stop the playback of the movie?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

Hi,

Do you have this issue with all movies ?
    Try to clear Kodi's cache in applications settings

3. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

I haven't tracked it down to any individual movies yet. Also, if I restart the same movie again, it sometimes succeeds in playing it (but often that doesn't work). And sometimes if that does not work, if I shut down the MiniX completely and start it up again, I can play the same movie ok, but not always.

But anyway, my initial question was regarding what this behavior (movie stops playing itself) is a symptom of? Has Kodi crashed, or has it just encountered an unrecoverable error (e.g. due to codec issue) and thus intentionally stopped the movie? If Kodi crashes, shouldn't it shut down the Kodi App completely, and return to the Android homescreen instead?

4. Motoarzan

Motoarzan New Member

I have a similar issue. Not really movies but TV shows. There isn't much rhyme or reason to it other than seems to be downloaded files with STRiFe, AMZN or Convoy in the source file name and usually when they are larger file formats in the 3-5GB range. When I click play they will instantly crash Kodi or some might freeze and crash a few minutes later. In addition, the above might not work on Kodi 17.1-17.4 but some (not all) may play fine in XBMC minix addition.
    Not sure if this is a Minix issue or a Kodi issue because I can acquire same show of another source which plays fine.

5. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

6. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

Try playing your video files with another player like MX Player or VLC or the native player installed on the Minix. If your video plays fine then you'll know it's Kodi and not the video file at which point you'll probably want a fresh Kodi install.

Marm and Katalyst like this.
  7. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

@Villa: In my case the problem occurs when playing local media (from a network share). I've not tried with streaming (e.g. Netflix).

8. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

So try to clear Kodi's cache in applications settings to get a fresh Kodi install.

9. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

If it's predominately the larger file sized ones causing the problem I'd put my money on a network bottleneck and/or speed issue. The data from the share may not be feeding to the player fast enough causing the video to just stop dead in it's tracks. I had the same problem and I upgraded my router and changed my wiring from cat5e to cat7 (I use ethernet for my devices when possible) and that solved the issue for me. I would try a few different media players to check this. If it continues to happen in all of them then I'd say the network is having troubles keeping up.

10. Husham Memar

Husham Memar New Member

if kodi links stop then install realdebrid - just like I explained in my youtube channel

11. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

I've not had time to try that. But the same problem has been experienced by others, see:
    www.minixforum.com/threads/intermittent-stopping.18031/
    And according to that thread, clearing Kodi's cache did not help.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Raskerpp likes this.
  12. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

It is not related to file size. It's happened with both large files (~15 GB), and smaller files (~1 GB) with not particularly high bitrate.

It's not a network speed issue. My MiniX is on an 1 Gbps LAN which I've measured is capable of feeding ~100 MB/s from my local server. The server itself would be more of a bottleneck, but it's still capable of feeding at least 30-40 MB/s.

Also, if the Kodi video buffer gets empty due to not receiving data fast enough, Kodi does not stop playing the movie and return to the file list from which is was started anyway. Instead it pauses the video and shows an indicator that it's buffering data, and then starts playing again when enough data has been buffered. And such buffering is not what I'm seeing in this case.

13. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

An Update:

I've now tried upgrading to Kodi 17.6, and also cleared Kodi's cache. But the problem still remains the same as before. Since other's have experienced it the same problem, I think it can be considered a bug now.

14. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

Not particularly, as I don't have this issue! :)

Katalyst likes this.
  15. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Nope. Neither do I. :)

Villa likes this.
  16. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

i would think that points to a network issue somewhere
    if you say it happens with smaller and lower bitrate files then i cant see how the kodi video buffer would ever get empty if your network was working efficiently

at the very least i would be rebooting the router, the source of the files and the minix

my next step would be to factory reset the minix and only install kodi

i, like many others have no issues in streaming from local files over the network so cant really consider your situation as a common bug

Katalyst likes this.
  17. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

I wish the OP would put his media files on a USB HDD and plug it directly into the Minix for a few days to see if the problem goes away. If it does, it's network/server related. If not, like Frederick says, factory reset the box and reinstall Kodi.

18. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

Just because you do not experience the bug does not mean that it does not exist. Different users have different setups, and will likely experience different bugs. Not all users experience all bugs.

In this case it has been reproduced by at least two users, so it's clear the bug exists at least for some users and setups.

19. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

Hmm... Just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion? I'd say my comment that you quoted more likely indicates that it is not a network issue, because the symptoms that I mentioned are not what you usually experience due to network issues (such as too low network speed, which instead manifests themselves as buffering progress indicator being displayed in Kodi, which is not what's happening in my case).
    I've already tried that 3 times. Did not help.
    Sure, one can always try that. However I really would like to avoid having to re-install and re-configure my unit, especially since this is just a wild guess so it's not known to fix the problem anyway.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  20. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Member

Yes, I could try that. The test would not solve the problem anyway, but may be useful to zoom in on what causes it.

But even it works ok with media on an USB drive, it does not mean the problem must be outside of the MiniX. Because the problem could still be caused by the MiniX firmware. Just as an example, the problem could be in the MiniX code that reads data from network shares.