1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Netflix apk

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by MINIX - Ken, Sep 3, 2014.

1. moster67

moster67 New Member

Hi,

was thinking about buying the Neo Z64 android-version and then perhaps upgrade it to Windows. I have read this thread with interest and have two questions:

1) if we use the kodi plugin (on Neo Z64 android) which uses the browser (or siimply the browser) and not the Android-app, are the problems the same?
    2) Do these problems happen also on Neo Z64 windows?

Thank you.
  2. Joost

Joost New Member

There seems to be a Netflix app (even 4K) for the Android TV OS which is used on for exemple the 2015 Sony tv's.
    Is this so different from the "regular" android or it is likely this will also be upgraded to HD/4K in the near future?
  3. Bergen

Bergen New Member

This sounds like something you (especially as a manufacturer) should be able to discuss with the Netflix devs, right?
    flywheel likes this.
  4. xbmcguru

xbmcguru New Member

Nah, this is old issue and Netflix and Hulu Plus stucked at SD only, issue is Minix dont want to get Widevine and Playready DRM....
  5. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

not true. widevine is always there.
    it's not about DRM, they are not willing to start the discussion. I think it is simply because we are not big enough and we are not US based company, end of story.
  6. MINIX - Ken

they are not willing to, can you change that?
  7. xbmcguru

xbmcguru New Member

No, your company dont have secure os from amlogic and dont support google widevine lvl1 only lvl3.

Lvl3 is software drm, wh8le lvl1 is hardware supported drm in soc.
  8. MINIX - Ken

1.) You have made an assumption that DRM ready = Netflix can play at full HD/4k, which is completely false, they have a approved device list. We asked about how to get the approval, and the reply was: Until you could sell 2 millions units a year in USA then we shall start talking. (Please note these are not the exact words but that's the meaning). It's a chicken and egg story, without contents it's hard for us to reach that goal, whereas all the competitions in the States have them. It is never a fair ground for competitions. If there are any Netflix personnels watching this and do not agree with me, please feel free to contact me, we will try our bests to deliver the best Netflix viewing experience to our users if a chance is given.

2.) We have signed agreement with Google and are free to adopt Widevine DRM to our system, no matter L1 or L3, the Secure OS is built inside the Amlogic and new Rockchip SoCs and we may utilize it anytime we like.
  9. MINIX - Ken

We have banned xbmcguru by the way, he works for WETEK, coming to mess around.
    KAR likes this.
  10. MINIX - Ken

Today I've sent the support request again.
    Have sent a few times before, not really useful though...
    flecon and KAR like this.
  11. mtnbiker717

mtnbiker717 New Member

Hey Ken, I hoping to help you out. I reached out to Neflix myself and this is what they told me:

Maybe if enough people bug them about getting the Neo certified, they will get off the butts and get this going you the community and me!
  12. Omaha

Omaha Member

It's too late for X8 gen., maybe for X9 gen. Minix team can do something !

Maybe you can start with Google (Youtube) and then maybe Netflix will be more intersing to deal with you.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  13. MINIX - Ken

We can't do anything until Netflix is willing to.
    They are not right now, I've sent a few more emails last month.

"I have forwarded your request to the appropriate team at Netflix. They will contact you if they have any questions."
    "If our client team decides to engage with you they will let you know."
    "The reason that you have not heard from the device team is that they are not interested in working with you at this time."

That's all. I've been trying to reach them since 2012, useless.
    I think the situation would be much much better if we're an US based company.
    tigerporc, mtnbiker717 and SmashD like this.
  14. Kallamamran

Kallamamran New Member

Because of the resolutionproblems due to Netflix being assholes (I think it's Netflix... Might be Google) I have cancelled my subscription to Netflix. No use giving them my money when they can 't/won't provide me with a working (re)solution. Instead I download the programs and watch them in fullHD like I should be able to on this wonderful device... I wonder how many does the same??? Keep up the good work Minix. You've created some great devices!!!
  15. SmashD

SmashD Member

I've purchased the Amazon Fire TV Stick for 19€ to stream YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video content, all in 1080p. Amazon sells enough units so the companies support their hardware...
    Cyberman likes this.
  16. rolfio

rolfio New Member

What are the best settings for smooth playback from Netflix? I discovered yesterday smoother playback when I set the output on 1080p/24 instead of automatic.
  17. jandk

jandk New Member

As far as I know, there are no perfect settings for Netflix on Minix.
    Netflix and Youtube were my primary apps on my X8-H Plus and I gave it up and sold the unit a few weeks ago (Youtube running ok).
    I had it for 3/4 year and kept hoping that Netflix would be fixed at some time.
    The Netflix support should be removed from the salesbox, the website and the marketing materials.

My new Google Nexus Player is perfect for Netflix and Youtube.
    The lack of native apps for the Nexus player is not a big issue for me.
    It's surprising how well casting is working now from many apps (at least the ones I use).
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Cyberman likes this.
  18. Omaha

Omaha Member

I agree with you jandk but for Youtube a find a solution for access 1080p stream. For Netflix (Amazon Video Prime, Hulu Plus) is a dead end with Minix, whatever settings we will try the stream it's still 480p. If you have the money buy Nvidia Shiled - best android box , or for low-buget Nexus Player or for very low-buget Amazon Firetv Stick.

I still use my Minix X8H Plus and I understand this US vs China problem that affect Minix. I only miss a real OS update to Android 5.1 because it's October now, Google launch Android 6 and no sign about a new high-end SoC from Amlogic - S912. Android 5.1 works ok even with S805 , so I don't want to buy a new box with S905 or RK3368 just to see Android 5.1 on Minix box ...
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  19. leges

leges New Member

It can be done, Amlogic S8x2 chip with Android 5.1.1 and Netflix 1080p:
  20. supertommy

supertommy Member

how??? they cracked the apk??