1. Official MINIX forum

Netflix apk

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by MINIX - Ken, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Gopichand Pai

Gopichand Pai Member

Their device is google certified. You wil get Netfilix HD with google certified devices
  2. leges

leges New Member

And Minix is not? Why is that? I looked Wetek up, it's a small company selling just a couple of media players. Can't Minix get certified?
  3. Gopichand Pai

Gopichand Pai Member

Yes Minix is not google certified. Only Minix can answer why not
  4. supertommy

supertommy Member

they said wetek is usa based and minix not... (google dont like china? :p)
  5. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

The answers are no and no.
    They only got one 4.x device certified.
    From Lollipop 5.x onwards non Android TV OS boxes can't get the certification.
    Google closed the GMS certification window for non Android TV OS boxes since June 2015.
    And getting Netflix HD has nothing to do with Google certification,
    Netflix has to grant manufacturer a customized apk & a key to get HD/UHD.
    Their CEO has a good relationship with Netflix, and we don't, obviously.

It's not as easy as you thought to get Netflix HD, dude.
    We have been trying for the past 2-3 years.
    As I heard the biggest ISP in Australia spent >1 year and still no progress.
    The actual problem lying under is that they don't have a transparent mechanism to allow various manufacturers to enable HD/UHD.
    Now it's the "they choose you" manner, which is quite passive.
    "Netflix doesn’t dole out HD to just anyone. Vendors and service providers need the golden pass first before they can display any Netflix content at the higher resolutions."
    "It’s unclear if the big manufacturers who are already approved have the pull to get Netflix to block the small guys from joining the HD club. What is apparent, at least for set top boxes, is that building a native Netflix app is a prerequisite to at least be considered for certification."
    Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/why-android-and-other-devices-cant-stream-hd-netflix/#ixzz3rdirZ600

record.jpg

Do you have any good suggestions to resolving this matter?
    We are listening.
    pollopolea, PatrickvH and tigerporc like this.
  6. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

We/I didn't say Wetek is USA based. They are not.
    What I meant was China (Hong Kong is a part of China now, a special administrative region) based companies are much harder to get the support.
    HD involves key/encryption that they might not want to take risks to offer/share,
    this is only my own personal guessing.
    Of course I hope I'm wrong.
  7. Luis Dinis

Luis Dinis New Member

Any news ???
  8. Rok

Rok New Member

9. rolfio

rolfio New Member

Netflix will never be supporting HD on our devices. No 5.1 sound also.
  10. unknownid

unknownid New Member

i just got through a lengthy conversation with netflix about this. in the end i cancelled my subscription with them. usenet is just easier for this right now.

i specifically mentioned the email posted above as my reasoning. what a terrible attitude for them to have when the alternative is free and not much more work.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    danwnz likes this.
  11. danwnz

danwnz Member

Yeah agreed on all that Ken has had to say here.

Doesn't matter what they do, it's up to netflix. And all the things netflix have been doing of late it is going to drive people underground again for content, they are getting too greedy and using locations... as a scapegoat.

I have now dropped my netflix back to the lowest, because I though I might watch it on more than one device at a time, and liked the idea of HD but I can only get HD on one device in my house Sony Xperia Z5 mobile, even my top of the line latest macbook pro doesn't even stream house of cards at 1080p only 1280x720, not only that the majority of the content is only @ 720x480.

As been mentioned here as well, it's all about money, how is willing to pay netflix a back hander to get their device supported and or then limit the devices they support ;-). It's in netflix's interest as well because then they don't have to speed much money on infrastructure to support the required bandwidths if many devices could stream at the highest definition, even if you are paying for it with the HD plan, they are also very sly in advising people that they are not really getting what they have paid for.

Here is an article, stuff all devices on this list compared to whats out there, or on some magic google supported devices list, which by the way is for the ability to install the app nothing to do with HD. If the link below doesn't show devices click on the Netflix in HD tab.
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23939

There is a thread on XDA where someone has unlocked HD in an apk do a search :) old version, but shows it can be done, but appears to be a lot of work.

@unknownid - I hear ya!!!
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  12. sweman11

sweman11 Guest

Havent been in this forum for a long time.

Minix and Netflix,dont work well from where I can see in this thread.

So whats the differens between Tronsmart and Minix?

Tronsmart MXIII Plus and Tronsmart MK908II ,I can play Netflix on both those items.
    (I also have an Minix 8H)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2016
  13. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

And your x8 does not play netflix?.. if so there is something seriously wrong with your box. You cant tell me these others are playing in full HD and your x8 does not... as i know the sdk's they are using. They all can not play netflix full HD due to netflix limitations. the only thing to get it working is to hack it wich might break stability. It is imposible to get widevine level one working and the devicekey netflix is using on either of these devices! One thing i do know is that netflix playback will allways work proper on a x8 as when it breaks it will be fixed with firmware updates where the others will not get such support. Just my 2 cents...
  14. sweman11

sweman11 Guest

Hi!

It does not play Netflix like Tronsmart MXIII,..no it does not.
    I bought the Tronsmart cause someone in the family needed a player.I fixed it and installed apps,and tried it out at home and now I have installed it in its right place.

And when I compare how it looks on the big screen,I dont really care what the "name" is..like "Full" or not full.
    It has no matter to me at all!
    What matters to me is how it looks,it always has been.If it plays flawless,and how "sharp" the picture is..and so on.

I´m playing Netflix via my Samsung 65 like a charm now since we started using it.
    And via Tronsmart mk908II,Wifi in the bedroom.(smaller screen)

But I´m sure I need to update the Minix "manually" to some version to get it to work.
    Just wanted to know if there was any differens between those two players,thats all.

And the name of this thread is not "Full HD or not",it´s Netflix APK.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2016