1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Norton Security and Antivirus

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by kroolas, Nov 2, 2017.

1. kroolas

kroolas New Member

Hi,
    Is anyone using Norton Security ans Antivirus on your Neo U9-H?

Play Store says "This app may not be optimized for your device".

Install or not?

2. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

I never installed an antivirus on this kind of boxes.
    Do you have important data to protect on it ?

kingsizept and Villa like this.
  3. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

Villa likes this.
  4. gufone

gufone Big Owl Super Moderator

After windows, android is the platform with the most malwares. So I suggest to install one antivirus. I use Avast. Even if you don't have sensitive data, your Google account can be hacked and your own local network too.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

garolfe, midnight and Villa like this.
  5. skynet

You shouldn't have any virus if you avoid downloading APK everywhere.
    Anyway, The U9-H isn't a phone with a battery, there's a power supply so the impact is less important.

On my phone, when i want to put an APK i test it with : https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

I also have an antivirus but i use it one time per month and i froze it with Titanium Backup on my rooted device. >> no more battery eaten (y)

6. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Judgement call. If you feel the need to have protection, then do it. I don't worry about it because there is no info on my U9. All anti virus software has an impact on performance and some apps can malfunction, depending on the protection. My phone has had "lookout" on it from day one. Very invisible and not memory hungry.

kingsizept likes this.
  7. kroolas

kroolas New Member

Android is generally not very safe. I don't access sensitive data on the box. However do not really want to get my Google account been hacked. That's why I want to install protection on my box.
    I've already purchased Norton Security and Antivirus subscription and my intention is to use it on the box. However Play Store return the following information:

"This app may not be optimized for your device".

Dunno what exactly this means. That's why I'm looking for advise here.

Is someone using Norton on your U9-H?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

A lot of apps now say that in the Play Store!
    I guess it could be related to MINIX devices not being Google certified.

Install it. Try it out. If you don't like it, uninstall it, try something else! (y)

9. RedGreen

RedGreen New Member

I use the free version Eset Mobile Security on all my Android devices. Just in case. It works and is unobtrusive.

10. skynet

It should work, try it !

Requires Android
    4.0.3 and up

To test your antivirus try the test file EICAR
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_test_file

11. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Now A Days they are all worried about backlashes and law suits. There's a lot of that going on in the windows world as well. My motto is, if it installs and works and I like it, I keep it. Lookout Security has a free version that is pretty common on all Android devices, especially phones. So, as I mentioned, I stayed with that one and never had an issue.

12. kroolas

kroolas New Member

Can confirm it works fine

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kingsizept likes this.
  13. gryta

gryta New Member

"This app may not be optimized for your device".

This only says that the APP is not optimized for tablet resolution that means it has black bars on right and left side. It says nothing about the system compability

I personally use Kaspersky Internet Security which I can recommend

14. Aaron Finn

Aaron Finn New Member

I would recommend Bitdefender and Kaspersky. I personally use bitdefender on my android. My staff has been using Kaspersky on Android and other devices for business purpose. No issues with both excellent antivirus services.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018 at 11:52 AM