1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Not getting any OTA upgrades since I bought X8H-Plus 2 years back

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus Official Firmware Releases' started by PrateekMohan, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrateekMohan

PrateekMohan New Member

Dear Minix Team,

I am not getting any OTA upgrades since I bought X8H-Plus 2 years back!!!
    My build number shows as KOT49H.20141114

What can I do. I tried to upgrade to latest version using USB ZIP method, but my screengoes all blank when i try to start the device in recovery mode.

Appreciate your help
  2. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

Do you see a "system Upgrade" icon somewhere on your home screen or App drawer ? or look in Settings and "more " should see system upgrade I believe , not currently near my device but I think you should be able to find something.:)
  3. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

midnight likes this.
  4. PapaKilo

PapaKilo New Member

Thank you for this tutorial! Bought my Minix on December 2016. Never gave much thought to upgrading, if it ain't broke...don't fix it! However with the x8plus being updated to Android 5.x.x I thought having the OTA option important. I was able to use the SD card method and updated 2 devices in 8 minutes! Thanks for all you guys do! Your work is most appreciated.
  5. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

If and when the X8-H Plus gets Android 5 it will most probably not be OTA. It will more likely be a full system image flash using the flash tool and a PC.
  6. me who

me who Member

It is fine with me if the Android 5.1 update is not OTA. The first update I did wasn't a OTA and it isn't that difficult. But without any updates from minix, I think most people will just go to custom firmware anyway or just get a new cheap box. It is a shame really. Since Minix has left its customers hanging, is there a custom firmware that allows android 17 and has working WIFI? Android 5 is so old now that Minx probably has just written it off and it keeping us in the dark because they are scared of the backlash. After all, how much time would it actually that them to give us a dang post on what is going on!
  7. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

This thread has nothing to do with Kodi, so why does every (next) post question Kodi?
    I'm assuming where you say, Android 17 you mean Kodi 17.

If you've been following other threads/posts you will be aware that there are Kodi forks that allow Kodi 17 functionality on Android 4.
    There is no need for custom firmware or an Android 5 update!
    kingsizept likes this.
  8. Dinko

Dinko New Member

I do not agree as forks do not have full functionality, XMBC (KODI 16 fork) do not work right with some of the fusion installed addons.
    MyGica (KODI 17.0 fork) search option not working for now and I installed it yesterday.
  9. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

You quoted @Villa's post so you must of read it ! Why are you asking about someone else's fork of Kodi ?o_O
  10. dryster

dryster Active Member

Where was it stated that the update would be Android 5.1?
  11. me who

me who Member

per Ken in post # 17 on the latest official firmware thread for x8h+
    Dear all,

We shall release a Lollipop based firmware for X8H-PLUS in March or April,
    based on the last SDK released by Amlogic (May 2015).

This is not within our original plan because of the lack of support from chipset vendor,
    but we understand lots of you want it and therefore we shall just make one.

Kodi 17 will work but will not be fully functional.
    (e.g. their newest passthrough needs API23 or higher)

Please note.

Reference:
    http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox/5.1_ReleaseInfo
    Dinko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.