1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

To buy or not?

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Ricky Nelson, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ricky Nelson

Ricky Nelson New Member

I have a Nvidia Shield Tv pro and a Alphawise H96+. From day one the H96 has worked impeccably and no complaints there whatsoever. The Nvidia Shield has been a nightmare . First there was a fault with the AC adapter pins. Then there was a problem with the remote and the controller. Then there was a software problem , all apps including system apps would crash. Then another problem was that no airmouse would work with it and I collected 10 or 12 air mice hoping at least one would work properly. To cut a long story short, I need to buy another android box. Inspire of all the problems I am still leaning towards a Nvidia Shield again, simply because when it works, there is no comparison. No buffering, superb audio, superb picture, flawless rendering. I hate the Shield, it has given me many sleepless nights, but when it performs, it cannot be touched. I was also looking at the U9H but am holding back only because of the Android 6. If it had the latest Android, I would blindly buy this. If you were in a dilema as mine, what would you do?

2. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

A new Nougat firmware is on the way, but no ETA yet.

3. Ricky Nelson

Ricky Nelson New Member

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I need to decide by next week, either way. What is holding Minix from rolling out updates, is a mystery to me. I have read many posts of people waiting for a update. The Nvidia just rolled out a Oreo update which I got today.

Villa likes this.
  4. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

I have the Shield too and can say I've not particularly had any issues with it other than hating Android TV.

We use our MINIX devices over the Shield.
    The Shield was originally bought for the gaming element but our son has moved on from that to bigger and better consoles.

Can't comment for any other devices but MINIX.

I have used most of the MINIX devices over the years and they have always performed for my needs!
    They do or have come with some issues that have either been ironed out with firmware updates or a factory reset/firmware reflash.

I guess it depends what your needs are?

As for an Android update - I don't see, currently, how I would benefit from that!

5. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

Ditto @Villa. Sounds like you purchased a lemon Nvidia Shield device. If you purchased it from Amazon. you should send it back for a replacement.

6. Ricky Nelson

Ricky Nelson New Member

Yes. There was a major issue, but that got sorted out, eventually . But yes it was a horrendous experience. I swore never to buy a Shield again...

7. Ricky Nelson

Ricky Nelson New Member

I was just watching a review of the U9H by Robert Jorge and he has pointed out some issues with Netflix. That's a problem for me surely, let's hope it gets sorted out.

8. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

We use Netflix a lot around our house. I have one U9 in my Bedroom and another downstairs for the kids .... these two versions work very well with no problems !
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/netflix-hd-app-login-error.18227/#post-146737

kingsizept likes this.
  9. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Well-Known Member

Buy an Apple Tv 4K. A lot better picture quality vs the NVIDIA Shield, especially it's 1080p > 4K upscaling.

Simply because the ATV 4K is a more polished product when you start talking about Apps like Amazon Video, Netflix DirecTV Now. It just works.
    It also has this nice auto functionality that works with many Apps producing smooth video playback with the correct color outputs:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208288

You use the MrMC App (highly modded Kodi Jarvis) and the upcoming Ariana Skin on it for all you local audio and video needs. There is now a lot of ex-Kodi old school developer support on the MrMC team.
    Only downside is no Atmos or DTS:X audio passthrough. Atmos will come for iTunes / Netflix in about August / September

The U9 is a DIY Android device. The most polished you can get for the tablet/touchscreen Android devices.
    If you use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on it you will virtually have the best release of Kodi going around. Better than what Kodi on the Shield can do.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    kingsizept likes this.
  10. crea

crea Member

There's no evidence to this, except some assumptions. And with the speed they are moving in 1-2 years new devices will come with AV-1 support, making this one obsolete.
    We don't need a working firmware "tomorrow" we need it now, while it's still relevant.

VC-1 is broken in the stock firmware, they don't care. How can you buy a media device that doesn't play BluRays consistently ?

It's good for running LibreElec, but there are much cheaper devices for that. And for Android you are much better getting a Shield. I would say unless you grab a crazy good deal on a used U9-H it's not worth it. For media with LE, buy a cheaper chinese box, for Android -> Shield.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    kingsizept and litvcom like this.
  11. crea

crea Member

"Some issues" ? Let's not fool ourselves and the readers, the whole Netflix on ATV setup on this box is an unofficial hack. So, not exactly "some issues". It may stop working anytime and you can't even complain, because it's a hack.

12. Ricky Nelson

Ricky Nelson New Member

Thanks for your elaborate reply and suggestions. There was a huge learning curve and struggle with the remote control and airmouse buttons between Android and Android Tv, I am still struggling. I am too old and tired to learn the Apple way now, frankly. I gave up OS few years back in favour of Android and have not looked back.

13. Kondor

Kondor Member

At this time there is no reason to buy Minix Neo U9-H. It seems Minix company is dying. So you will get no support and no firmware's progress. Nvidia Shield TV is outstanding device with outstanding media functionality, it is best Android box on market.

Ricky Nelson, kingsizept and crea like this.
  14. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

That may be a little over the top but yes, since @MINIX - Ken left official support has been sadly lacking and it would be easy to come to your conclusion

Villa and Ricky Nelson like this.
  15. steveg32

steveg32 Active Member

Wait, what? :confused:o_O:eek:(n)

16. Ricky Nelson

Ricky Nelson New Member

Appreciate your honesty and suggestions. Will get the Shield again, thanks

17. crea

crea Member

In my opinion U9-H is still a decent device for specific use cases (like if you want both Android apps and LE in one device). But the price must drop considerably. Like, $80-90 would be a fair deal - it still has good hardware, so we can pay extra compared to other chinese boxes, even if just for the hardware. I just pity the people who paid $150+ for it - Shield is a much better deal for this money.
    With the level of support (i.e. lack of) we get now it's no longer a "premium" device they have been marketing it as. It's a "premium hardware" device with DIY software.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 1:26 PM
  18. mrrawuk

mrrawuk Member

I've had 3 minix boxes and all been great . Some issues with the remote but good old Ken sorted it for me.
    I am looking for a new box to replace my U1 and no Minix devices are going to be added for me.

There are simply better boxes around in terms of both price and performance now.

19. Smartie36

Smartie36 Active Member

Price and performance shouldn't be your only concern if you use kodi & want some important features to work properly, one such feature I needed to work correctly & is the reason I picked minix is correct 23.976 playback without the annoying visible stutter every 41/42 seconds of playback.

All the cheaper boxes I had just couldn't play 23.976 content properly, most boxes didn't even support refresh rate switching and those that did still couldn't play 23.976 without playback stutter every 41 seconds or so, if you search on Google about android tv boxes, 23.976 and stutter every 41 seconds or so you'll get plenty of results on the issue.

So if you don't use kodi, or if you do but don't care about your 23.976 frame rate video files playing back correctly when refresh rate switching is enabled then you won't need to do any research before you buy but if you do care about that working correctly then I suggest you do some research on those 'better boxes' you mention before getting one.

There was a list on the main kodi forums of all the android boxes that support all the important kodi functions, not sure if the list is still there and being updated but might be worth a look if it is.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kingsizept and mrrawuk like this.
  20. mrrawuk

mrrawuk Member

Indeed Smartie36, but I always do my homework as i did before getting the 3 minix products previously.I use Kodi daily.