1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

VPN on Minix U1?

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by davidki, Apr 10, 2017.

1. davidki

davidki Member

So, talking with folks, reading several posts and the question comes up "do I use a VPN" and right now, I don't so, someone (my Son in Law) suggested PureVPN as he has run quite a few tests and finds it is pretty fast compared to a few others. Anyone know how I would use this provider - VPN on our U1 boxes and anyone with experaince using one... is a a real pain in the A..? Since I have just a limited knowledge of these I thought I'd ask here... from what I understand, you just put in a user name, password and enter the world wide web! What do you folks think? thanks in advance. PS, I"m starting with a 60mb/s connections.. so a little hit wont hurt me in speed from what I"m told.
    Dave

2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken Former MINIX Team Member Administrator

We have been using Express VPN for a few years.

Not so familiar with other providers.

KellyND1 likes this.
  3. amdaley

amdaley Member

I use PIA here and it works fine.

dabar72 likes this.
  4. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

+1

5. davidki

davidki Member

Thanks for the replies, In an earlier post someone mentioned that the VPN credentials kept being lost and everything had to be re input every time, do you find that true? Do you just set your credentials in the VPN section and it stays there? how much of a speed hit are you finding using the VPN? Finally, is the VPN on all the time or do you have to log in to it each time?

I'm still trying to figure out how to change my xbmc to 16.3, I'm still at 15.3 I think... is there anywhere I can see what the changes are and do I have to re set all my add on's again if I upgrade?

Thanks, Dave

6. ieswideopen

ieswideopen Member

I've been using ExpressVpn for a few years. Installing a VPN should be just like installing any other app.

7. pusb87

i guess most of use the providers app, and certainly with PIA it just works once set up...which is simple.

Speed hit is marginal for me and you can choose how you log in and or whether it starts on boot.....its simple to use and works very well

dabar72 likes this.
  8. davidki

davidki Member

Frederick 99, thanks, do you use the free version or a paid version? It looks pretty good, even at 3.33 per month for 5 connections is very reasonable. I guess I"m just a bit confused on doing things with the Minix :) A computer or smart phone... No problem.. from what I get is that you first log in to the VPN and then launch what ever browsers you want... Although it seems simple, I wish there were a bit more of a Manual I can download ... The last thing I want to do is cause a big problem that takes me months to clear up :) Thanks for the suggestion on PIA. Would you mind if I pm'd you with more specific questions if I need.. Thanks, Dave

kennersk likes this.
  9. pusb87

I wasn't aware of a free version although there's a 7 day money back trial. You sure your looking at Private Internet Access (PIA)

If you wish to use it on the minix you simply install their app, enter your login credentials, choose a server and off you go.
    a reasonably up-to date guide here >> http://www.vpnfan.com/blog/pia-android-guide/
    Personally i run PIA primarily on my router so it "protects" every device I have , but i also do use the android app on my minix when not connected to my own router.

10. Stinkworm

Stinkworm New Member

The problem with the VPN credentials has since been fixed. That only occurred if you were manually setting up a VPN via the Minix network settings. However, if you are using a VPN, like ExpressVPN that has an APP, it's just like any APP, you install enter your credentials and run.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

11. davidki

davidki Member

Thanks for the replies Fredrick 99 and Stinkworm .. I apprectiate it.. I"ll look over the information, I"ve looked at both PIA and ExpressVPN, Fredrick, I went back and found that On Google Play Store they show the PIA as a Free Download and it looks like that's all that is free LOL, then you have to signup and pay for the service... I"ll check them both out.. there seems to be alot of YouTube info as well... so, that is good. I looked at my router and there is info on using a VPN but it looks like that is for clients' only... Something new to read, research and learn about! Thanks again for the information.
    Dave

12. pusb87

If you run the VPN on your router then to access the internet with VPN protection then it is configured as a client on your router. You generally take a bigger hit in download speed using a router due to the more limited processing power of the router.

13. davidki

davidki Member

Thanks for that... I'll have to download the manual and see if that were to be something I can do... I have a Netgear Nighthawlk 7500 so it's a fairly new device... Thanks for your help.
    Dave

14. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

If set up on the router, is it still limited to 5 devices? Or will it work on all devices connected to the router?

15. Stinkworm

Stinkworm New Member

All devices connected can benefit from the VPN. Wired and wireless. Only limit would be the number of IP addresses that the router would issue.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Higgs likes this.
  16. pusb87

as @Stinkworm says...all devices connected are on the VPN.....dependent on router/firmware you can use policy rules to have specific devices not going through the vpn if you like

Higgs likes this.
  17. Brigham999

Brigham999 New Member

I use IpVanish and it works very well. I runit as an app on the U1

amdaley likes this.
  18. darkgohan

darkgohan Member

Thank you

19. darkgohan

darkgohan Member

Been reading some. Another question. I see that you can install this on a pc or minix,or a router,if I read this right?/
    I have a router that allows me to connect from my modem to my pc and use a wired connection to my U9H, no other devices a very simple set up.
    So where best to install a vpn to perform its desired role? T.Y

20. pusb87

you install the VPN application onto the device that you want to have go through a VPN.

that's unusual as far as i know and I don't really understand how that works , if it is indeed what you meant ??