1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

What do you HATE about Android?

Discussion in 'General Android Discussion' started by dryster, Feb 22, 2017.

1. dryster

dryster Active Member

I thought I would start a thread for marginally disgruntled Android users, nothing to do with Minix devices, although the idiosyncrasies of those devices can be discussed too. I know I have some long standing irritations with the Android operating system, mainly because I have used it more on tablets and TV boxes and the Android operating system has always seemed to be aimed at phones and not tablet/TV or desktop use.

I'll air my grievances if the thread takes off, so the question stands...

What do you HATE about Android?
  2. dryster

dryster Active Member

Ok, no replies, so either no interest of no-one has seen the thread, or no-one has any issues with Android. I must be alone on this one.
  3. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

You only posted yesterday!
    I could understand if it had been a week ago!
  4. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

6 hours and no replies. Might be time to lock this old dusty thread :):D:ROFLMAO:(y)

Personally i don't have any specific pain-points about android. Its particularly suited to touchscreen devices, phones,tablets etc but with an airmouse, use on the big-screen is not a big jump.

@dryster , maybe you should start the discussion, you might get more feedback with people either agreeing with or disagreeing with your grievances
    dryster, sidsilver and Villa like this.
  5. dryster

dryster Active Member

New member enthusiasm I suppose, and good idea for me starting the discussion.

One of the recurring themes I see on Minix and other forum threads is that people are anxious for one reason or another for the newest version of Android, that anxiousness often runs into a grievance, or a gripe regarding the hardware or a development group and that brings me to one of my major grievances with Android, what's the rush to drop an old name for a new one? - why when Lollipop was out was the buzz all about Marshmallow and not fixing and tweaking Lollipop?

I am sure Chrome OS has gone through multiple iterations and bug fixes and build numbers, and perhaps the hardware is more defined and less fragmented than the Android ecosystem and more targeted at desktop/laptop systems than mobile systems, but surely Google can pull in the reigns on their galloping android releases? - or perhaps they already have designs on doing just that?
    Villa and Higgs like this.
  6. ENDRJUPL

ENDRJUPL Well-Known Member Super Moderator

It's "the number". Lots of users (not all of them of course) want the latest not because they need it, but because it's there. As I always say. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.
    Villa likes this.
  7. dryster

dryster Active Member

I've been in an endless upgrade path since the late 1980's so I think we're always looking for the bigger number. That's the fun of it all, and I would have been happy with my 386 until the day that Doom arrived on the scene in 1993 and that snail appeared in the corner of the screen, indicating that a 486 was in my immediate future and really my 386 wasn't broken when I "fixed" it.

Android affirms that the Langoliers actually exist, especially when playstore software is no longer available even for versions only a few releases back, such as Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean, although I'm assuming that there are numerous online FTP sites with APKs for the older versions of Android and of course, for those whose only reason to own a Minix box is Kodi, previous versions are still available in the depths of the website.
  8. ENDRJUPL

ENDRJUPL Well-Known Member Super Moderator

That's why I said that not all people care only about a number. I'm not denying that newer is mostly better. I'm all in if it comes to progress, believe me. What I meant is that every time a new version comes out, people tend to ask a lot of "when" questions, despite the fact that their setup still runs well. It's not good to rush to a new version and abandon the fixes made in the older one just because it will have n+1 number on the firmware version. Chip manufacturer has to provide necessary information before Minix can start working on their firmware so it can be an improvement rather than a number change.
    sidsilver and dryster like this.
  9. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

Agree with everything said here and it is my main grievance as well. (maybe it's just us oldies who have been updating since the 80s)
    The only reason I've wanted a new firmware (Marshmallow) is adoptable storage. I've been able to hack my way to the end goal with apps like Foldermount and mounting SMB shares but it's not the clean solution I had hoped for.
    I, like a large percentage of our userbase is now upset that the new Kodi requires Lollipop or higher. It hasn't affected me or any of the addons I use currently but it will eventually.

Apart from that I don't really have any problems with it, every day I find ways to make it an acceptable OS for everyday use.. If the hardware was capable of high end PC gaming I could see myself running it fulltime in the not too distant future
    Villa likes this.
  10. dryster

dryster Active Member

I'm a habitual adopter of two year old technology, waifs and strays are always welcome in this house if I can make them do what I want. It is true that I secretly want my six year old 720P Samsung plasma TV to explode at some point, but until it does, our streaming life will be pegged at that level. The same is true with my now trusty yet relatively ancient Yamaha component switching amp, which is not used for switching any more.

The grievances about rapid evolution of technology and obsolete versions of operating systems and apps are probably just down to my own rapid devolution into an old curmudgeon, which is inevitable. I would love to own that one device that did everything and was future proof, however, I would find fault with that as it would take away any reason to continue the search and grab the deals.