1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

What is the "best" MINIX for my use case

Discussion in 'Development' started by Evi Vanoost, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Evi Vanoost

Evi Vanoost New Member

I’m looking to create a digital signage player based around the Android OS.

I need the following:
    Something that doesn’t overheat if it’s on for several hours at a time. It doesn’t have to be industrial grade, but it has to be stable when playing a freaking video. I've tested a number of these 'cheap' boxes ($30, $70), they all hang and crash and get quite hot. Not sure whether any/all of the Minix have the 'same problem', but it's a thermal packaging issue. I'd be more than happy to pay an extra $10 for a bigger heatsink.

Kernel Watchdog (/dev/watchdog or comparable interface), if the watchdog doesn’t receive a signal (kernel or application crash), the unit should reset. It's standard in most Linux distro's, I'd hope targeting the 'industrial' market (as Minix does), this would be enabled.

Root access and/or a system image that can be customized, free of any pre-installed apps (I don’t need nor want Kodi) -or- the correct hardware kernel modules or a source from which to compile a custom Android build. I have experience with ADB, I've gotten some boxes that don't even have an ADB USB port (sure TCP works but it's not the same).

Any and all suggestions either for this or other manufacturers are greatly appreciated.
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator