1. Official MINIX forum

Win 10 vs Android for TV box?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by hydraSlav, Sep 27, 2016.

1. hydraSlav

hydraSlav New Member

I have X8-H as my current Android TV box, mostly for Kodi.

My biggest gripe, is the lack of OS upgrades (it is stuck in 4.4, and no updates in sight), while the software (Kodi and plugins) move forward requiring new OS versions.

In my search for a replacement, I came across the U1 and Z83-4. I never even considered Windows 10 vs the Android OS. Windows has a far longer OS lifespan than Android with more backwards compatibility.

So, what should I consider going from Android to Windows 10 for a TV box? What unexpected issues await me? Why isn't a Windows box more popular than so many Android TV boxes?
  2. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

X8h plus will be updated to 5.1 soon. But for your question: an android box is more suitable for media player then windows. (Better user interaction/no maintanance/allost no chance at virusses/etc) .. on the otherhand your pc can also act as a phone, audio reciever, car stereo, navigation system,etx. windows is just less suitable for such usecases.
    midnight and Rui Oliveira like this.
  3. hydraSlav

hydraSlav New Member

Mine is X8-H, not the Plus.

Good point about viruses, however maintenance (windows updates?) could be simply disabled I suppose.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

A key factor in my opinion would be price
  5. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

For example... Once an android box is all setup nothing can basicly go wrong.. on windows that is relative. What will you give to your (grand)parents as a media player?
  6. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I originally started out my parents with an Android box (X5) then over to a Windows box (Z64) for their Netflix needs. They cancelled Netflix a few months back and recently had some network issues (to NAS) after the anniversary update.
    I really couldn't bothered with it all as I'm not a huge fan of Win10 so spent a few minutes factory resetting and installing Kodi etc on an old X8-H Plus and job was done.

For me personally Android hands down for media playback and making a 'smart tv'. The Windows boxes will be used for my children so they dont kill my gaming PC :p
    spazzbecker and Villa like this.
  7. Jayce Ooi

Jayce Ooi New Member

Yup, Android is better on media playback. At least for me. ;)
  8. frank 566

frank 566 New Member

as much has you're can upgrade the android to 5.1 or more! And for what i read on other threads, this is the end for X8 h plus.... We are stock to 4.4.2....:mad: