1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

X8-H as DLNA Server

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H, X8 Plus & X8' started by Jpc, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Jpc

Jpc New Member

Hi,

I'm trying to run my X8-H as a DLNA Server to stream media on my home net (wired), so i installed some apps on it but no one worked for me. Then I repeated the same steps on my Samsung Note 10.1 and i got it working as a DLNA server with no trouble.

The app I used is called MediaServer. When running on the X8H the server instance is discovered by my samsung TV but no media is available, if i try it on the tablet i can play contents from the TV with no issues (Everything on the same local network).

I don't know whats happening with my X8-H, security issues ? (I'm no root), is there something i must do on the X8-H before try to stream any contents ...

Help will be apreciated.
  2. SmashD

SmashD Member

The installed XBMC has an DLNA Option in the Settings, you might want to try that one - worked fine here 2 days ago when I've tested that.
  3. Jpc

Jpc New Member

Thanks, I've just tried XBMC and works ok. I've also tried Pixel-DMS and it worked fine too. Thanks again. Still dunno why MediaServer app doesn't work...
  4. Leo83

Leo83 Member

Is this the same as upnp?

I'm not sure how this works, if I set my minix xbmc to act as a dlna server will any TV that is dlna compatible be able to access my share on xbmc?

I guess which files or can play depends on the codecs the TV built in player can handle.
  5. SmashD

SmashD Member

I didn't test that thoroughly, but I guess you're right with everything you've posted. Even if Xbmc could transcode depending of the rendering target (DLNA/UPNP TV)... Full size PCs even have to struggle depending on the source, I don't think any android device could have that much horsepower ;)
  6. Leo83

Leo83 Member

Hmm... I'm thinking of buying a new TV for the bedroom and want to be able to access my share on an external hard drive that is connect to my minix via USB. I was hoping that sharing why dlna was the solution, but I never used it so I'm not sure how it works out how I would get to work with the minix unit.
  7. SmashD

SmashD Member

Well, most modern TVs are quite capable at formats, even Mkv at 1080p. So your plan is more on the "works" side ;)
    Leo83 likes this.