1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

X8, X8 Plus, X8-H Official firmware 008 (20160115)

Discussion in 'X8, X8 Plus, X8-H Official Firmware 008' started by MINIX - Ken, Jan 21, 2016.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dear all NEO X8, X8 Plus, X8-H users,
    (Please note that this firmware does NOT work with X8-H PLUS - different CPU/ wireless chipset)

Official 008 firmware has been released.

Full system image with USB flashing tool:
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=X8_X8PLUS_X8H_FW008_20160114.rar
    MD5 checksum: 1CDC36547EEE319E9312618FF8AD5F0F

USB .zip update package (keeping exisiting data, requires FAT32 USB drive):
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=X8_X8PLUS_X8H_FW008.zip
    MD5 checksum: 329C412D0598259C7CD1837F2F6ABEDA

Update instruction:
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/how-to-use-the-usb-zip-update-method-x6-x8-series.6828/

For those who prefer to keep your existing data, you may enjoy this update first.

Change log (since 007A 20150924 firmware):

1.) Updated MINIX Metro UI
    2.) Updated YouTube app (this may not get updated via USB .zip update)
    3.) Fixed some H.264 video playback issues (e.g. Marvels Jessica Jones)
    4.) Fixed Bluetooth devices connection problem during system wake up
    5.) Improved Miracast app compatibility
    6.) Fixed Google Play Store V6.x.x forced exit problem

Extra:
    New MINIX XBMC release candidate build (based on Kodi Isengard 15.2):
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=MINIX_XBMC_20151230.apk

NEVER DISCONNECT THE POWER DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS!!

Cheers,
    Team MINIX
    zarb, zarbman, Wyoong12 and 5 others like this.
  2. panosdl

panosdl New Member

Not at home to be able to check, therefore I ask, is the OTA out yet?
    If not, when do you think it will be?
    Thanks Ken for your excellent job for us users!!
  3. exitguy

exitguy Member

Couple of questions -
    Why wasn't the Minix_XBMC_20151230 released above called Minix_KODI_20151230 ??, that way it could be parallel loaded with the current Minix_XBMC_13.3.3 and people could test without losing their data
    I presume that downloading and installing Minix_XBMC_20151230 will overwrite the Minix_XBMC_13.3.3
  4. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Just backup your 13.3 data before installing. Then if you want to revert just install the 13.3 apk again and restore your backed-up data
  5. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

The other way to look at it is that by remaining as XBMC you can also install other versions of Kodi !
    It is a very simple task to make a backup of XBMC data.
    gjs999 likes this.
  6. Rogier

Rogier New Member

What is the advantage of the New MINIX XBMC release candidate build (based on Kodi Isengard 15.2) vs de original KODI Isengard 15.2 from Google PLAY Store?
    mesutismail likes this.
  7. Gopichand Pai

Gopichand Pai Member

Looks like OTA is not available yet? It says no system update for me. I have x8-h
  8. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

9. Gopichand Pai

Gopichand Pai Member

When will the OTA be available?
  10. Pandivalo

Pandivalo New Member

OTA is not yet avaible in France
    garbanzito likes this.
  11. garbanzito

garbanzito New Member

OTA is not yet avaible in Spain
  12. ruder1

ruder1 New Member

Can I update my Minix X8-H from Finless 2.0 ROM to new official version 008 with this zip file ?
  13. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

No you will need to wait for the Full system image with USB burning tool. Or install an earlier official firmware with the usb burning tool and then upgrade.
  14. vfc

vfc Member

Why is the OTA not available yet? The new update is out already for 5 days. Are some changes being done already in which case then it will be worth waiting for.
  15. Wyoong12

Wyoong12 New Member

Yep any idea when the OTA comes online
    zarbman likes this.
  16. gjs999

gjs999 Active Member

I believe the ota works differently so I assume further testing is required to ensure that the firmware package is delivered correctly and un packs correctly .
  17. piggy99

piggy99 New Member

When I tried to install, it says footer, header wrong..and abort.
  18. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

Maybe the zip file you downloaded may be corrupt, try to download it again (I see the zip file size is 546,303 KB).
    You do have an X8-H, X8 or X8 Plus, right?
    You did follow the upgrade procedure, as detailed in the link posted above by @MINIX - Ken, right?
    piggy99 likes this.
  19. piggy99

piggy99 New Member

X8-H
    Will try again. I downloaded it 3 times. May be I will use another computer to download. :)

20. EdT586

EdT586 Member

No OTA in Canada as well !
    Why does Minix keep changing methods to upgrade ?, now you have the "press the recovery button method" while before it was the simple two file method with options to keep data or not that the the system automatically picks up with no risk of damaging the reset button.