1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

X8, X8 Plus, X8-H Official firmware 008 (20160115)

Discussion in 'X8, X8 Plus, X8-H Official Firmware 008' started by MINIX - Ken, Jan 21, 2016.

1. artouiros

artouiros Member

Hello, I bought a x8-h to my collection of minix boxes. Ccan you please tell us, in the remote.conf in /system/etc/remote.conf there is a factory_code = 0xfe010001 (it's the stock remote factory code). Im tyring to use my otehr remote with the box, I changed factory_code in the remote.conf and changed scancodes. All works ok, except one thing - when in standby box only recognizes the stock remote (I guess there is somewhere another remote configuration file for the standby). Can you please tell us where it is? I really hope it isn't hardcoded.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

GO AWAY.
    Yell at Amazon.
  3. MINIX - Ken

Yes, update window is opened.
    sangaz likes this.
  4. MINIX - Ken

MINIX IR CODE:

NEC PROTOCOL , HEX

Customer Code: 0xfe01 (NEO X5 mini, NEO X6, NEO X7, NEO X8, NEO Z64, NEO U1)
    Power: 0xe718fe01
  5. artouiros

artouiros Member

Ye, I know this. The question was a bit different. There is somewhere hardcoded the stock remote factory code, it woudl be good to know in which file, so I could change it. Because when changing the factory_code in remote.conf it only works when system is on (I guess it's because system triggres remotecfg /system/etc/remote.conf each time ot wake ups)
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  6. MINIX - Ken

I think it's the hardware of the remote, the power key has 2 functions, short press and long press.
  7. Argyrios

Argyrios Member

Hi Ken,

What happened to FOTA which was supposed to be highly available and scalable enough? I think I have missed some update episodes...???
  8. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

Did you not see Minix-Ken's post #43 above?

9. wellvidal

wellvidal Member

Partners Menorca and Gopichand: Upgrade via OTA worked perfectly. Thanks for the help and Good Day and Week to All.
  10. Argyrios

Argyrios Member

Yes I did, and I applied it...Just being curious as if I remember correctly Minix changed from OTA to FOTA in order to solve all the old issues with DOS attacks, overloading of the servers, etc...
    See here: http://mg.adups.cn/adups/new4_en.html
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  11. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

In that case I'm not sure I understand your original question. :confused:

As far as updating the Minix's firmware is concerned, OTA (Over The Air) and FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) means the same thing!!
  12. tk-421

tk-421 New Member

Ok Guys, I'm a complete noob.
    I have no idea what firmware my box should have.
    I always thought that the Minix Neo X8-H was able to update itself by clicking the (OTA) Update button.
    But as no Update has ever been found OTA, I'm guessing somethings not quite right.
    I've trawled this forum to get some answers but In truth, everyone has some kind of computer based knowledge, and Im just an ordinary bloke.
    So to use my head, here is what my Minix Looks like (pic)......................
    Minix Neo X8H.jpg
  13. Argyrios

Argyrios Member

It seems you are quite new to Minix devices....OTA )older methodology) is different distribution system and servers than FOTA...
  14. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

That's not quite true. Minix did have to switch to a new OTA provider, but OTA and FOTA are being used interchangeably to refer to the same thing.
    More info in the first post here - http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-002a-firmware.2413/
  15. Argyrios

Argyrios Member

Yes, indeed, but that FOTA provider change should have the below attributes (in attached JPG)...hence my original question on what happened and this massive global network of servers got overloaded...

Attached Files:

16. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

You have a quite old firmware release; this is identified by the build number shown in your picture. Minix released in November 2014, if I remember well, its FW002 with the new OTA SW.
    You can upgrade straight to the latest FW release 008 by getting the latest fimware here: http://minixforum.com/threads/x8-x8-plus-x8-h-official-firmware-008-20160115.10455/
    "Full system image with USB flashing tool:
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=X8_X8PLUS_X8H_FW008_20160114.rar
    MD5 checksum: 1CDC36547EEE319E9312618FF8AD5F0F
    "

How to flash the firmware using the flashing tool here: http://minixforum.com/threads/how-to-flash-firmware-image-x6-x8-series.116/

Unrar the file you downloaded from the above link, you will get two files: the flashing tool (that you will have to install on your Windows PC) and the image file. Follow then the steps from the 2 link.
    After that, you will have the new FOTA System Update app, which you will use in the future for future upgrades.

Good luck!
  17. mrdude

mrdude New Member

I would recommend that the guy doesn't update his firmware - simply because this new firmware and other previous builds have very bad audio problems where audio drop outs are very common,, the forum is littered with posts on this - but minix have not addressed this issue in this v8 firmware. The last know good firmware without audio problems was version 2a.
  18. damca

damca New Member

I have every firmware in my MINIX X8-H and I donĀ“t have any problems with audio. I use spdif connection with LOGITECH Z-5500, data from ethernet through router asus rt-ac68u with 1TB disk. BIG Thanks MINIX team for your support.
  19. gjs999

gjs999 Active Member

The audio cut outs doesnt relate to what external kit is connected or just to kodi/xbmc - some people have updated their firmware to v7 and since then have suffered the cutouts . Why it has affected some units and not others has yet to be determined but it maybe people who updated via fota or not since Minix hasnt made any comment but , people wishing to update must be made aware of the potential issue. I used fota update and now have audio cutouts on multiple apps and via hdmi only and I believe reverting to v2a will fix it , personally im waiting for v8a to fix it if Minix can .
  20. ssspacman

ssspacman New Member